German Shepherds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmalicious

Reaction score
Just wondering how many people here own German Shepherds? I really want to buy one my life long dream!

And how much did people pay for there shepherds? I'm planning to buy one... like asap! much to my mothers dissaproval as she doesn't like big dogs!

I just think they are the most gorgeous looking dogs, I'm going to get a traditional marked one with long fur!

I thought i'd make a thread because I just love them and felt like discussing them =-)

Not purebred, but I have a shepherd x lab and she is adorable. You should consider saving a shepherd or shepherd cross from the pound.

A word of warning though, I hope you enjoy vacuuming as the hair makes a right mess. Its absolutely dreadful.

Attachments

• DSC00158small.jpg
    DSC00158small.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC00554small.jpg
    DSC00554small.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC00684small.jpg
    DSC00684small.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 64
My in-laws have an awesome shepherd, my wifes aunty breeds them and she sells them for about $400. Great looking dogs, shes in NSW though......

LOL that doggy is cute. I actually was considering getting one from the pound! but in Vic there is an actual german shepherd shelter! so I might look there! Hmmm thats good they don't bark might teach my border collie a thing or two!

Shepherds need grooming constantly. Even with daily brushing their wool will coat furniture, rugs, blankets & any visitors that come in. They have genetic skin disorders, hip probs, neurotic behaviour probs etc etc & they do bark! But that aside, they are the most intelligent, loyal, protective, loving dogs you could possibly hope to share your life with!
Buy from a reputable breeder, especially as it is your first. Ensure the parents have been temp tested ( do you do that in Vic?) hip scored & that you see the parents. Even then there will be no guarantees. I paid $350 without papers for my girl. She would have been $450 with the papers but as I had no intention of breeding or showing I figured I'd put the $100 I saved towards her de-sexing. Just some trivia..the long coated Shepherd was once regarded as undesirable & ineligible for registration! Not sure if that still applies but imo, they do look heaps nicer!

Attachments

• Stuff nov 08 027.jpg
    Stuff nov 08 027.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 70
my uncles got a pure bred male German Shepard... i've gotta look after him for 6 weeks... just picked him up today.. i'll find some way to get you a photo of him.. he's HUGE! :|.. looks like a bear hahaha.. but he is soo gentle.. a really big sook!.

Great pets.. we've got a "Belgium Shepard x German Shepard" she's great!. Her names Xena

second picture was of our puppy, his name was Rex. he sadly passed away 2 weeks after we got him, spent most of the time in the vets,, he got some virus or disease im not too sure what it was.. but yeah he had a 50 - 50 chance of living :(. He was a little TROOPER. R.I.P Rex

To some it up.. go get one, you wont regret it!.

rexy.jpg

Yeah, I had a pug once and the pugs fur was shocking, so I'm use to lots of fur doesn't really bother me I just love having animals!

They pics are soo adorable! I want one sooo badly. But I'm going to do more research some saving for de sexing.

Also have to convince mum seeing as she isn't a fan of big dogs, she loves all the animals once she gets use to them but its just the first few weeks is where we have the dramas! She really needs to get use to all the animals until I buy my own house one day because thats what I live for my animals!

Keep in mind these are highly intelligent dogs, and hence need ALOT of vigorous mental and physical stimulation to keep them happy. Probably not the best dog to get if you study / work alot.

Also as said before if you do get one, go to a reliable breeder and make sure parents are tempermant tested and hip / elbow tested aswell. Do not go to a backyard breeder to save a few dollars, you get what you pay for.

Just some trivia..the long coated Shepherd was once regarded as undesirable & ineligible for registration! Not sure if that still applies but imo, they do look heaps nicer!

Yes that still applies, long hair Germans cannot be shown in the ring as it wasnt thought desireable that a working dog like that should have long hair, its just unneccasary with the coat they already have and would just get in the way.

I think the long haireds look ridiculous though anyway. :lol: But, each to their own. I cannot wait to get my German, I have a few breeders in mind I just need to make a decision. I will be getting one from imported German lines though, or a black sable working type from a breeder who does them for police work / guards / schutzhund.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 4.gif
    4.gif
    96.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
i always stick with mongrel dogs way less chance of running into the genetic probelems line bred dogs get.

people need to learn dogs shouldnt be inbred.

unlike snakes and fish wich do it anyway

awe!!! Rex was soooooo cute!!! poor bugger :(
you're girl is gorgeous!

At 18, do you really think you are in the best position to commit to an active, large, demanding and intelligent dog for the next 12 years?

I imagine your mum is probably not keen for you to get a big dog because she knows that she will be the one left looking after it when you travel/study/move to a small share house or flat with no backyard for a big dog.

I grew up shepherds and have recently acquired a rescue shep that I adore. Luckily she is the older type of dog and doesnt have that horrible coat hanger look (the look where their bums are basically dragging on the ground, and they wonder why they have hip problems!) She sheds like nothing else though, is only allowed on our tiles area and even then Ihave to vacuum 3 tims a weeks. I do agree with Jessb though, most rental places wont allow you to have a big dog so are you prepared to give up a lifestyle to care for your dog?

Cheers

I love German Shepherd's. I have had them for many years. My last shepherd was a Von Keiserhof imported from Germany... and worth every cent. If you are after quality and not too concerned of cost, then make sure it has good genetic linage and hip rated. It brings your world down to have a sole mate for 7 years and have to put it down because it has Hip Displacia

Attachments

• Tal n Boss.jpg
    Tal n Boss.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Tal.jpg
    Tal.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 63
I have a pure bred shepherd,They're good dogs if you have the time for them they need ALOT of grooming as they shed all year round and they need to be Trained from day one.....alwys do background checks on breeding lines as they are reknown for genetic disorders(hip displacia,skin problems etc)..For a pure bred expect to pay at least $900 from a reputable breeder (that was the going rate 2 years ago when we bought ours)....;)

Attachments

• 107-0800_IMG.JPG
    107-0800_IMG.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 108-0856_IMG.JPG
    108-0856_IMG.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0563.JPG
    IMG_0563.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 54
yeah see thats the thing, I don't work nor do I study so I got a hell of a lot of time, I spend most of my days doing stuff for my animals, walks n runs and stuff. So thats the side I love about them they need a lot of training exercise etc!

Here is my old boy. This is 9 year old Tigga - as old as he is getting he still has plenty of bounce in him. He is a good dog. Doesn't dig holes except when the trampoline was on the grass. He had a thing about the the legs of the trampoline moving and the whole time the kids jumped he would be there yelping, barking and scratching at the legs. Also did the same with their swing set.

He loves chasing red lazer dots, will chase it all round the yard. We just have to say LOOK and his ears prick and he is looking down at the ground for the light.

Very gentle with other animals. Doesn't try to hurt the snakes, I use to have rabbits run around the yard, ocacsionally one of my rats escapes, he doesn't chase them, except he has a thing about cats. He will chase cats.

My mum breeds and shows German Shepherds, has had them for near 15 years or more now.

Attachments

• P1040826.JPG
    P1040826.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 52
  • P1020792.JPG
    P1020792.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 71
Gorgeous Shepherd you have there Mysnake. My Collie loves the snakes she doesn't realize they don't love her LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back