Golden Tailed Geckos - License info needed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ari

Reaction score
Hi All

Hopefully someone will be able to help me with my enquiry.

I was always under the impression that this gecko species was restricted, meaning on a QLD recreational license only 2 x specimens can be kept, any more and you need to upgrade to a commercial license.

Anyway I have phoned the EPA in the past, and received the same information, and have received the same information from other gecko breeders.

However a situation arouse yesterday that makes me think it has either changed or somethings not right. A person I know has been keeping 4 x specimens on a recreational license, which has been ok by the EPA, the guy even phoned the EPA again today, and they stated that they are not restricted and you can keep unlimited numbers on a QLD recreational license. Infact I checked my guidelines and they dont have them listed as a restricted species on the EPA QLD list. They are RARE however in the wild.

Can someone please advise what is correct. I am really starting to pull my hair out over this.

Cheers

Ari

Unfortunately the answer will vary depending on who you talk to. There is no set list, only a dynamic list of what is currently considered rare or vulnerable within QLD. As long as Golden Tails continue to live in the Brigalow belt in QLD then they will always be considered vulnerable and therefore a restricted species. The problem is that nobody will challenge the topic unless they need to and in my eyes if you are being put in a situation with regards to being prosecuted for keeping excessive resricted species on a rec licence, Golden Tails will be considered restricted based on the explanation above solely because that explanation is what is written in the legislation. I was told by a high ranking official that he did not think goldens were restricted but when he looked it up and worked it out on the correct criteria he proved himself wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back