Good Dogs?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's the thing that sucks with longer haired dogs, it's hard not to be tempted by them, but they are so much hard work. When I was a teenager I always wanted a Samoyed, now I would NEVER get one! haha

Speaking of grooming long haired dogs, we had a bearded collie in grooming once, the owner never brushed it. Me and 2 other people spent over an hour brushing it and we didn't even get through half the mats. So if you get a long haired dog you need to be committed.

I think that's the thing that sucks with longer haired dogs, it's hard not to be tempted by them, but they are so much hard work. When I was a teenager I always wanted a Samoyed, now I would NEVER get one! haha

nor a malamute , a husky , or even a newfie but i did clip my parents german shephard twice in extreme summer heats as he was a long haired shep and he felt so much better and of course his hair grew back fine and clipped many a border collie they actually come out fantastic and generally look younger after a hair cut on a number 4 (groomer talk):lol::lol:

Speaking of grooming long haired dogs, we had a bearded collie in grooming once, the owner never brushed it. Me and 2 other people spent over an hour brushing it and we didn't even get through half the mats. So if you get a long haired dog you need to be committed.

similar situation had a neglected extremely matted old english sheep dog once when clipping on a (10 blade) only option shaved the dog back to bald of course but took the coat off in one piece as the company i worked 4 b4 i opened my shop had competitions who could bring back basicaslly a whole dog without the dog when we had neglected matted cases thankfully was few between but we did win for about a 3 month period till winter was over and as amy you would know "" i dont want my dog clipped during winter as it will get cold comes out the other side of winter one dirty and generally knotted or matted dog "" where can be prevented by giving a a lamb cut/ light cut just prior to winter to prevent matting in wet dogs over the winter period

if you have long coated dogs who generally are clipped just prior to winter ask for a number 4 clip so if your dog gets wet or damp from mist its coat can dry whilst your at work and prevent becoming matted and of course make sure you brush your dog especially over winter
or (naledge ) get a short coated dog and you will be ok

German shepherds can also be a bit stinky because of their double coat too, we had one come into the clinic called Quella, I really loved her name, but bleh, what a wretch! Lucky she was in for grooming so we could wash out the smell.
As for the bearded collie, our grooming lecturer (this was actually while we were working in her salon) had suggested to the owner just shaving it all off and starting over but they said no.

I had to put down my neapolitan mastiff 2 weeks ago. He was the best dog you could ever ask for. My 2 year old used him as a trampoline when he was asleep and he never even lifted his head.

I have to say bullmastiff. But that just suits me. I didn't want an energetic dog and i didn't want a chihuahua plus i wanted beefy lol They weren't bred aggressive either. They were used to hold intruders until their owners came.

My boy is just a big lazy boof lol

Be really careful with the higher energy dogs. We just had to rehome a cattle dog cos she was extremely destructive, noisy and aggressive. Make sure you have the time and energy to give them what they need daily otherwise don't bother.

We used to also have a pair of akitas. A long time ago when i was little. They were very protective of me but they also had to go when they had a fight and my mums boyfriend got in the way..

i would say aussie kelpie. they are so good. we have one of the more pure ones that are a bit shorter and a liver colour. very very loyale and love you to bits. very affectionat.
also they show that your an aussie :D

Bull terriers are the best dog evah!

IMG_0291.jpg

I have a Staffy X Retreiver and a Rhodesian Ridgeback they are awesome dogs...the Ridgeback however, is very lazy and pretty much only moves for food...the staffy x is very intelligent, keen to please, barks at any strangers (her and my ridgeback even cornered someone who was breaking in, but didn't bite them)
In saying that, the best dog I've owned was a pitty (I know you said you don't want one, but I thought I'd share my experience with them because they are given such a bad name). She would check on me every 15mins when I was home by myself (she would find me and nudge me with her nose to make sure I was okay), very affectionate, great with kids and the only thing she ever hurt was a cat that came in our yard...But no one that didn't know her would come into the yard, she didn't even need to do anything, just be there.

My aunt and uncle had 2 ridge backs and they were awsome. The sweetest dogs ever, wouldnt hurt a fly but looked impressive and would bark if they didnt know you.

When I was a kid we had a lab x greyhound. She was a medium size dog, but very solid.
She was friendly and loved people but would bark and sounded aggressive, so if you didnt know her you might think twice about robbing the place.

I agree with waruikazi that bull terriers make great protector dogs and family dogs but unfortunately due to the shape of there skull the average person does not appreciate there look, and when they run in to your legs with there head you know it usually with a bruise but this breed was never suggested by myself earlier as he wanted a large breed and they come more under the small to medium statue. but they will defend your property and yet are great with people and kids and now you can get miniature bull terriers which are nice looking dogs . i personally have only met one mini bully in the flesh but nice little dog.

i truly think if you want a large dog , easy to maintain , trainable and biddable, good for house protection, but not overly aggressive and , good around people/family and something you may comfortably be able to control and handle ( with training as any large breed does require training / as does small) ................. i think you may want a rhodesian ridgeback

but at the end of the day what do you really want this dog for ?????
a mate, a companion,, a friend,, a protector,,,loyal,,,,,, this will describe any dog you choose pure or cross
or an agressor ,,, able to attack,,,, guard your property with its life,,,,,, then you are looking for a few selected breeds and a future lawsuit...................................

just get the the dog that appeals to your likings as it will be with you for at least 10 plus years if you are lucky
most dogs will naturally defend there owners/family and property without having to be an agrressive dog but i am assuming you are wanting a breed that has that audacious persona to prevent someone thinking twice of coming in to your yard even though your dog may just lick them i understand that ,but if you want it to train to attack i suggest you train a miniature poodle they are very excellent alert dogs and no one would expect it coming as your killing machine lolol

We have a staffy, great dog, no trouble at all, great with kids.
Grew up with my kids from a puppy, never have had any aggression problems.
Also gets along with our other dog Maltese x.

I would get another in a heart beat.

get a lab my boy kody is a black lab big strong bark but no bite witch is a good thing(yet goes can look like a phyco at times but wont even think to bite just bark and snarl). super friendly around the family just a big boffy dopey boy and considering last year we were the only people on our street not to get broken into .

A hungarian vizsla is going to be my next dog.

they have adult ears as puppies and are so cute but grow into a good looking dog

Attachments

• hungarian-vizsla.jpg
    hungarian-vizsla.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 48
  • vizsla.jpg
    vizsla.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 55
Yommy, my wife and I just fell in love with that dog!!! We've been looking at all kinds of dogs and wanted something with blue eyes, red colour and wasn't too big. This pretty much matches exactly what we've been lookin for :)

Bullterriers are rubbish guard dogs they can sleep through an earth quake , if you want a good all rounder get an American Staffordshire Terrier they are as strong as a rotty in the size of a blue heeler , there are stacks of crossbreeds in shelters also just go to a shelter and pick a dog the size shape color and behavior you are after.

Any of the Border collie, kelpie, cattle breeds will do the job you are after and even moreso if they are a mix of 2 or all these breeds.

What an absolute load of crock :rolleyes:

Staffies are beautiful dogs. So are german shepherds (although both are prone to genetic conditions). Definitely check the shelter first =)

Last edited:
AHHH dogs! i friggen love em, all of them!!! lol so, so many to choose from! Dog shelters are great places to get a dog due to the standards the dog has to pass before adoption but be prepared for a thorough examination from staff including a visit to your property for some people to make sure adequate shelter, room and suitability for the dog is met. Not all do this but where i live its the standard of animal welfare they abide too ( a good thing i think ). I have a Jack Russell and Staffy, as you want a large dog the Labrador is a good dog but some of the best dogs are the humble mongrels, a bit of this and a bit of that thrown together can produce some awesome natured dogs free of the genetic health problems some pure bred dogs are known for and personnalities and traits unique to that particular dog. For me i love the staffy, such loving natures and despite the unfair vicious dog tag some minority groups have labeled this breed they make great family pets especially around children ( never leave any young child unsupervised around ANY dog of course!!!) but thats my opinion having had great natured staffy's in the past and some may disagree!... goodluck in finding your new mate and post a pic when you do..... cheers :)

p.s. most dogs will bark at any stranger who approaches your property when there is a fence or door seperating them, even the best natured dogs have this false sense of security and bark and growl like a mad mutt detering most unwanted guests from entering. No need for a big, vicious guard dog to protect your property!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back