Goodbye Foxy the Brave...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nicman72

Reaction score
At about 9:30 on Wednesday night, our darling Foxy's tiny little heart finally stopped beating, and left our's broken... :cry:

She had been our little problem child right from the beginning; she always had a very lacklustre appetite, including periods during which she would refuse ALL food. The last 4 months have been an absolute roller-coaster; unfortunately, even with all the helpful advice received from here, and all the loving attention we could shower upon her, the ride is finally over.

Although we managed to keep her alive this long, which was MUCH longer than both the vet and breeder expected, it's left my partner and I feeling utterly miserable. She's the first animal we've lost, and her now dark, cold tank is a very poignant reminder that she's actually gone from the family forever :(

When I left for my 15 day stint of work on the 7th of this month, I gave Foxy what turned out to be my last cuddle. She held on right up until less than 12 hours before I flew home; so, so close... Instead of the usually joyful re-union with my partner when I get home, this time was a very sombre and teary occasion.

For those that are interested, she weighed 13 grams when I left; she'd been hovering around this weight for a few weeks prior, and eating fairly consistently. After I left, she went off her food completely, and then wasted away until she was just a little skeleton with a bit of loose skin wrapped around her tiny bones. My missus was in tears nearly every time I spoke to her on the phone, utterly exasperated that Foxy wouldn't eat anything, even 'forced' through a syringe. Very upsetting stuff for both Foxy and my partner (and myself!).

When I weighed her little corpse as soon as I got home, she'd dropped to 9 grams. Poor little girl was just tiny, with bones sticking our everywhere... :( Such a contrast to her sister, Ruby, who at the same age (4 months 3 weeks) has just cracked the 200 gram mark, putting on 56 grams in the same interval that Foxy lost 4. In a way, it feels like Ruby has 'absorbed' Foxy's spirit, giving her the appetite (and bulk!) of two lizards. The thought that Foxy lives on in her sister makes us feel a bit better as well...

Ah well, life goes on. I was collecting some data during Foxy's final months (weights, insects per day); if anyone is interested in having a look to maybe offer some advice on where we could've gone wrong, please PM me. Not wanting to sound conceited, but I honestly don't think it was our husbandry skills or environment, and this opinion is supported by the vet, breeder, and the fact that Ruby is doing so well. Still, if we can find out what went wrong, we'd love to avoid this happening again in the future if possible.

To all those who have lost a pet, my heart honestly and truly goes out to you. Grief of any kind is a miserable island to be cast upon. Thank-you sincerely to everyone who gave their advice, support, and best wishes over the last few months.

Finally, a few pics in memory of our little girl, Foxy the Brave, RIP......

The night we picked them up (Foxy above, Ruby below).
Playing the piano.
Looking her best.
How thin she was when she died.
Compared to her clutch-sister, Ruby.

Cheers,
Nic

Attachments

• P1010018.jpg
    P1010018.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 157
  • P1020061.jpg
    P1020061.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 127
  • P1020089.jpg
    P1020089.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 125
  • P1020951.jpg
    P1020951.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 153
  • P1020950.jpg
    P1020950.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 228
Aah Nic, that sucks :( Sorry to hear.
She received heaps of love, care and dedication while she was with you, so console yourselves with that, I guess.
Take care xx

Sorry to hear Nic.... You guys did such a wonderful job keeping her going for as long as you did and roxy would be happy knowing that u did all you could for her... Unfortunately sometimes these things are destined right from the very beginning no matter how hard you try to prevent it... It's one of life's little mysteries i think.....

Bugga Nic that is so sad, I had been hoping no news was good news. You hadn't updated your other thread for awhile so assumed all was good. Ironically I had just sorta named my newest beardie girl after her by using a combo of Foxy and Ruby by naming her Roxy. Rest In Peace Foxy girl :-(

Really sorry to hear that Nic. :(
Hope you and ur partner feel better soon, its so horrible losing a beardy. ;(

so sorry to hear this mate,from ur previous posts there was nomore u could have done....u gave her the best possible chance of survival and sometimes these things happen unfortunately :(

all the best

I'm incredible sad to hear that you guys lost the struggle with Foxy. You guys were working so hard on making her well again.
Many of us have been following your thread on her progress, and the way you describe what is happening, seems so real, and I seem to get lost into your words. With that, it brings tears to my eyes even more so that you guys lost the battle with her.
Hopefully, you have enjoyed the time that you were able to spend with her, and know that you did eveything in your power to give her a good life.
Remember her in your memory, your photos and in Ruby :)

Many thanks...

Thank-you everybody for your well-wishes. I apologise for not posting at least one follow-up to my original thread, but it was just more of the roller-coaster ride, every week. I didn't want to bore people with variations of the same thread... We followed all the best advice we received, and for little patches, it looked like we might've had the upper hand. Then she simply faded away...
Torry, I hope little Roxy has all the fight that Foxy had, and the appetite of Ruby. Would LOVE to see a pic :)
Jasspa, I really appreciate your kind words. We will always remember Foxy. Funny, even though we only had her for a few months, her personality shone through like a torch. Quite different to all the other lizards. It's just such a shame we didn't get to spend more time enjoying that personality...
We buried her today, on a nice little bed of petrified wood. Here's some pics. The Ixora we planted above her was a very kind gift from my partner's boss, Kelli. Great boss, and a top chick too.
Again, cheers everyone for sending your thoughts Foxy's way.
Nic

Attachments

• P1030006.jpg
    P1030006.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 69
  • P1030001.jpg
    P1030001.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 62
hey, ive recently purchased two bearded dragons, one has stopped eating. i have separated them and im force feeding it hills a/d. just wondering what breeder you got them from because mine look very similar to yours and is going through the same thing.

sorry to hear about your loss:( i know how it feels to lose a much loved reptile
you did your best and thats all that matters... R.I.P foxy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back