Gravid Beardie Help !!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardyBen

Reaction score
Hi Everybody, My 14 month old central beardie is gravid and is digging around like crazy for the last week I can feel and see her eggs but she hasnt dropped them yet. I have her in a 60 litre tub full of damp sand under a uva&b fluro with a basking lamp. she has dug a cave in the sand and now just sits there. is there anything else that anyone can suggest Ive tried different substrates, dirt, vermiculite. any help would be much appreciated. Cheers Ben

We don't put our tub under a basking lamp......maybe she feels that it is going to be too hot to lay them there and they might cook!.....just a thought!!

The damp sand sounds fine!!!!

Fay

Hi Beardy Ben,
We put ours in a plastic garbage bin full of moist soil...
We put her in there for a couple of hours every other day and put the ventilated lid on so it's dark...
Most times she wont even dig a tunnel she will lay them on top of the soil...
When we first tried to do it we also put dirt, sand etc into the enclosure with her and the tunnels kept collapsing because the heat lamp kept drying the soil out..
Hope this helps...
:)

Mine lays in a tunnel that she digs in a large tub that gets setup in an enclosure. She's never laid them on the top - and has never needed it dark. Just leave her there to do her thing. She'll lay them when she's ready.
Also, apparenly when it's their first clutch (and sometimes they'll always do it like mine do), they dig 'test/practise holes' and it's just them getting a feel for it.
Good luck - and make sure that when she DOES lay, give her a nice warm bath and offer her plenty of food ;)
Bex

thanx jason and Bex :):) I think shes trying to dig her way to China :)

YAY !!!!!!! she laid last night. a clutch of 9 eggs. Im so proud of her. I gave her a nice warm bath as you said Bex and fed her up and kept her nice and warm. now the eggs are cooking away in my home made styrofoam incubator fingers crossed I will have some little beardies in a couple of months! thanks for the help and suggestions everyone :):):):):) im so stoked

Congrats Ben - I can imagine how excited you must be!!
Good luck with the incubating ;)
Bex

well done ben, thats great i cant weigth to breed mine next yr i get jelouse when i hear every one breeding their beardies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back