Gravid beardie?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1

cupcake
Reaction score
3 weeks ago tommorrow morning Larry and Kaida may have mated, Larry was awake, and Kaida had bite marks on her neck, not intended, but poo happens.

Ive been treating her as you would a gravid beardie, extra calcium, roaches and sun on top of her normal healthy salads.
Shes been basking alot more in the past 2 weeks and is extremely restless today.

Yesterday she started digging like crazy and no matter what lay box i put in with her, she refused to use it. I just moved her to a different enclosure and put her in a laying tub with the lid on till she agreed to dig in there, ive taken the lid off and shes digging her heart out. Phew!

Ive read that they can lay anywhere between 2-5 weeks, so its within that range, the part thats confusing me is shes eaten every day including today, but everything ive found says beardies stop eating 2-3 days before laying. (my geckos stop eating before laying so its a sign i look for)

has anyone had beardies eat right up to the time of laying? if she was a gecko id expect eggs by morning by the way shes acting, well apart from the eating part,...

and do they lay over night?
im not sure if i should leave her light on for longer, the timer would normally turn off at 7.30,..

any advice would be great!

thanks in advance, Chris.

I have no experience with beardie breeding, but good luck with it. Can you feel any eggs in her belly?

im pretty sure i could see eggs at some angles, but she doesnt look like a sack of marbles like some do,...

she decided she didnt like the laying box so about 20 mins ago i packed wet sand about 15cms deep and high around all the walls of her cage, i just checked and she dug out a ledge, shoved her butt under and is laying, theres eggs out already!!!!! :p

cool, congrats. she must prefer wet sand, you will know for next time.

she had wet sand since tuesday, i tried 3 different sized tubs but she refused them all and kept digging in the dry stuff.

5 eggs that i can see so far, im trying not to bug her

knocked up beardie?

I dig a hole in the lay tub nice and deep that slopes to shallow in one end amp put a piece of wood across the deep end to make a sort of burrow and my girls use that every time. Try to save them a little energy. Good luck with it all :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exiting times Chris, all the best!
I remember having troubles with caves collapsing my girl always had to have the longest unsteady burrow, then switching to brickies sand which holds much better.
Keep us posted!

sounds like a good setup justdragons, any chance of pics?
do you put a lid on the lay box? i couldnt get Kaida to stay in without forcing her and the second time i tried she focused all her attention on getting out rather than digging,.....i tried starting tunnels but she'd shove her nose in a corner and scratch till there was no sand left, i think she mightnt be very smart, hehe.

Thanks Chicken, i might try brickies sand if she lays another clutch, fingers crossed she doesnt tho!!!!

anyway, shes all finished and doing a wonderful job of burying them, shes doing donuts to pat the sand down, very cool to watch!!
(and such a relief that theyre out, im such a worry wart when my ladies are laying)

How many did she lay, could you tell? Are you going to put them in an incubator? I know it was unplanned, but it's exciting nonetheless. :D

yeah, it is exciting! :p
it took me longer to unbury the eggs than it took her to bury them,...i cant believe how much sand she moved and patted down before she was satisfied and ready for bed!!!

i got 8 good eggs and put 8 bad looking really soft eggs in a different tub, glad i did cos the bad looking eggs stink already and the good looking ones don't!! :)

and yes, im incubating them, its a great chance to at least have a baby or 2 of Larrys when i lose him.

Larry has given you a nice gift. Fingers crossed the incubation goes well.

Wasnt this thread called "Knocked Up beardie" or something last night?
Has someone seriously got a problem with that phrase?
what a joke if that is the case...
there is a movie call "Knocked Up" and the censors didnt have to change it to "Pregnant"

Hey Chris, the female beardie that has just bred for me this year eats right up to the minute of laying, think she's just a guts! Lol
Bit late for the light question, but yes, they will lay overnight, i've had them start digging to lay about half an hour before the lights go off, they just continue going until everything is laid, and yes, they spend for ever patting down the laying substrate before they are happy everything is right and leave the laying box! Good luck with em mate.

lol, i hadnt even noticed the change of title!! but yes, it was knocked up beardie,....

Thanks Greg! :p
Not sure where they put all that food with a belly full of eggs! she laid 75g's worth. (and is now a piddly 275g,...and very hungry!) :)

re the light, i changed it to a dull globe so it wouldnt bother her too much...it was great to watch!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back