Gravid blueys

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiderlady

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to tell if a bluey is gravid.......i am still unsure about it all.........must sound like i am a blonde

I get all my gravid females from the pit just after new year and rehouse them. I take all the ones that appear gravid and that way if they are just fat then you can put them back when you realise it. I am usually 100% but how would I know If I missed any because I doubt Id see any offspring that were born in the outdoor enclosure.
I had 12 born yesterday and when Id got home they had climbed mum onto the cage of the hanging bulb , climbed the flex and were sitting on the timber crossbeam that the light hangs from. A good metre.

I would imagine that the male would be the more dominant specimen in RE: food so he would be the bulkier one at most times of the year. If you can then compare both male and female side by side it should be easy to determin if the female has gained a profound amount of weight due to being pregnant.

If you can tell the difference between the males and females that can help. If you go by how fat they look then you would probably end up picking up some of the males. The gravid ones are the ones that still look fat and wide when they run away to hide. It is sort of obvious once you pick up what you are looking at or for.
Emoticons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back