Gravid jacky dragon questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondgal79

Reaction score
ok as per my thread last week i have ended up with a female jacky dragon and a feamle beardie and im almost 100% that they are gravid due to the "lumps" i can see and the very obvious weight they are carrying.

The thing is because i was not at all expecting to have a jacky dargon let alone a gravid one im at a complete loss as to what i should do for her or what i should expect in regards to her laying her eggs.
It was not my plan breed jacky dragons as i simply dont know that much about them but i shall give it my all and hopefully the outcome is a pleasing one.
The same with the beardie although i purchased her i didnt think she would be gravid as their male died a few weeks ago.

So i have a few questions if someone could take the time to help me with them i would appreciate it greatly.

At the moment the jacky is in an exoterra hex sunning thingo (i told you i wasnt prepared) and she gets plenty of natural UV, she spends most of her day on the side sunning herself.

The beardie has her own enclosure with sunlamp and she goes outside to to get natural UV everyday without fail.

1) how long after seeing the "lumps" do they lay?
2)What should i give her to lay in?
3)is it normal she hasnt eaten much in the past few days but is drinking?
4)what temp should i have the incubator set on to warm up before they eggs arrive.
5) How long do they take to hatch?
6)anything else i havet asked please feel free to tell me about im completly at your infomational mercy here folks.

Cheers DG

The beardie has her own enclosure with sunlamp and she goes outside to to get natural UV everyday without fail.

1) how long after seeing the "lumps" do they lay?
2)What should i give her to lay in?
3)is it normal she hasnt eaten much in the past few days but is drinking?
4)what temp should i have the incubator set on to warm up before they eggs arrive.
5) How long do they take to hatch?
6)anything else i havet asked please feel free to tell me about im completly at your infomational mercy here folks.

Cheers DG
I don't know about Jacky Dragons, but I do have experience with breeding beardies. I'll answer your questions by the numbers above.
1) Ususally only 3-7 days
2) I provide a lay box (at least 44 litres) full of moist soil, packed down hard, so it doesn't collapse on her. Mine has a lid on it, but with a good size hole in the lid, so she can crawl in and out. My box is also blacked out.
3)Very normal, females normally don't eat much in the last few days before they lay
4) Anywhere between 28-31, I like to have around 29. But humidity in the egg containers in far more critical, and I like mine 90-99%. To do this mix vemiculite with water 1:1 by weight (NOT VOLUME!), and keep a sealed lid on the eggs most of the time.
5) Anywhere between 55-75 days, depending on the temp.
6) Like I eluded to, I keep a sealed lid on the eggs for the first 3 weeks after they are layed, then air weekly (for 15-20 seconds) after that. Keep the thermometer and hygrometer probes inside the container with the eggs, not just in the open incubator.

Any more questions, just ask.
Is the female beardie pacing around a lot and scratching a lot? Because if so, you need to provide her with the lay box ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back