Green Tree Frog exposed to fungus, showing discolouration

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaemm

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Ok, so about last week I started noticing a repetitive growth of mushrooms/fungus in my GTF tank, which I suspect came from some plants I bought at Bunnings. I removed them and did a quick cleaning job to eliminate spores, but some must have been leftover as they grew back.
Yesterday I noticed a very very subtle patch of discoloration on my frog, so I removed him and placed him in a sort of 'quarantine' carry case, and placed him in a warm spot with spaghnum moss for humidity, while I replaced the substrate and disinfected the whole tank.
He's back in there now and after a day is showing more signs of discolouration.

Anyway, apologies for the essay but should I see what happens or get him to a vet ASAP?
He is still eating/behaving normally.

---------- Post added 18-Jan-11 at 06:28 PM ----------

Also, please don't think of me as neglectful, I take good care of my frog and I love him dearly.

I would doubt it would be from the fungus that was in the pot as fungi are fairly host specific, some grow on live wood, some grow on dead wood, some grow in the ground, some grow on plant leaves and some grow on various animal parts so a fungi growing on your frog wont be the same fungi that was growing in the pot (not to say thats not where it came from as fungi that infect animals can be dispersed in by soil movement) Any chance of pics?

I have numerous types of mushrooms, some very exotic colourful ones that appear all the time throughout my many frog enclosures. I leave them and some look quite interesting. Never had any problems. My substrate is and has been for the last 5-6 years a mix of barks, expanded clay balls, coco peat and organic potting soil.

Hmm... Just went upstairs to take some photos and it's already started clearing up. Is this just me being blinded by hope or is it possible that these things can clear up quite quickly?

---------- Post added 18-Jan-11 at 06:50 PM ----------

It might have just been a temperature thing?

I doubt temperature was the cause, though it may have been a contributing factor. It may have been something in the new plant, perhaps fertiliser or bug spray had been on the plant and was burning his skin? I've seen the same sort of thing on wild frogs, though they never seem unhealthy.

Hopefully its nothing, since its clearing up thats a good sign, when i hear those symptoms i tend to think chytrid fungus but sounds like its nothing like that

Ok, so he's looking fine now, maybe even better than before!
Thanks for all of your help regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back