Green Tree Frogs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattdadrma

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, im new to this forum and sorta didn't know where I could post this. Firstly, I'm sorry if its in the wrong spot.

I have two green tree frogs which are still quite young. I've had them for about 2 months and in that time one has about doubled in size whereas the other one has only grown a little bit. Just wanted to know if this is normal and whether or not the males are larger than the females?

I'm pretty sure i've heard croaking when I was half asleep so i assume that the larger one would be male.

Mattdadrma, Back when I had my green tree frogs I had 12 and they were all bought at about the same size and yet even 1 year later the size differences were really noticeable, They just seem to grow at different rates, I dont believe there is any noticable difference in size between males and females but I could be wrong, I also believe that the Males are the only ones to croak. Mine bred several times as did my white lip green trees.

thanks guys, good to know its all normal and theres nothing wrong with them =)

Are you confident that the larger isn't getting all the food? Does the smaller look healthy and not under weight? If so then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

GTF's are quite easy to get to hand feed... always hand feed mine a couple of dusted crickets to make sure they get a couple each then leave them to their mayhem as they chase the rest around... but as said above if they look fine then there is probably no problem.

You can handle them but it should be kept to a minimum.

Frogs are more of a "look but don't touch" pet.

I handle mine when removing from their enclosure for cleaning, but thats the only time.

GTF's are more suited to handling than other frogs though, as they are more laid back.

Just make sure if you are handling, wash your hands with soap, then rinse your hands again to remove any soap reidue, and make sure your hands are wet when you pick them up.

Alternatively you can wear disposable gloves, Just make sure they are wet.

Nat

thanks guys, good to know its all normal and theres nothing wrong with them =)

If you feel that the size difference is because one is getting all the food, do what I do and feed them from a pair of tweezers.
I had heaps and I fed them all like that so none of them missed out.

Are you confident that the larger isn't getting all the food? Does the smaller look healthy and not under weight? If so then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I started feeding them a while ago via hand just to make sure all was ok. It seems that what I assume is the male is just growing quicker. The smaller one is a little chubby but still healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back