green tree snake enclosure?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jordan-gibson

Reaction score
hi everyone, i have see a few pictures of green tree snakes and really like them so iv been doing some research on then but have found it really hard to find any pictures of there enclosure or what dimensions they would need, could anyone help? thanks

New enclosure, Roxy after feeding.jpg

Here is a pic of my water based CTS enclosure. click clacks are good up until 1.5-2 years old and then move them into something a bit bigger. 2x2x1.5 would easily suit an adult CTS. the more complex the better with CTS, give them water to swim in, plants to hide in and things to hide under and you're all set. i keep mine a bit cooler than pythons with max temps up around 32 and min temps down below 20.

only 2x2x1.5 for a fully grown? dont they get up to 1-1.5m? really would have thought that they would need something a bit bigger

Yeah but a 1.5m tree snake is very different to a 1.5m python. The other thing to remember is that these species really do like to be secure. Giving them too much room would mean you never see your snake out and about. Right now I'm watching mine hunting for a guppy. She is a subadult and in a 2x1.5x1.5 and she was perfectly happy in there with another subadult.

syeph8- is it hard cleaning the enclosure when there's all that water?

nah i just pump it all out and refill it every couple of weeks. when i do that, i throw a filter in there for an hour or two and bobs your uncle. Filter cleans out the displaced faeces and the fish get their water change. the guppies are going well in this setup, only the temps are a bit too high for breeding (which would be awesome if i wanted to reduce my feeding bill). snake eats predominantly guppies out of the water in the bottom of the enclosure but i occasionally throw in a small clear bowl with a couple of guppies/golfish to stimulate the hunting reflex. I get the impression that a few missed attempts in a larger water source puts them off trying again until they get one from a small bowl. I am thinking of a way to drop temps of the water by 4 degrees without affecting the temps of the enclosure as much in an attempt to both increase probability of guppy breeding and more importantly decrease risk of bacterial cultivation. might use a higher wattage basking lamp and not have it directly over the vine hide or another option is change the day/night from energy saver to another basking lamp for day temps.

Last edited:
thanks again for your help, aslo i have a spare 40cm x 30cm x 115cm cabinet would i be able to convert that into an enclosure if i do end up getting one? is that to small, to big or what?
cheers

Sounds good to me.
I've seen adults kept in smaller enclosures.

ditto, but a 2x2x1.5 isn't too big. i personally am happy keeping a vast majority of adults in 1.5x1.5x2 and feel as though they have tonnes of space. but i have seen some monstrous tree snakes that i would rather keep in 2x2x1.5.

Yeah but a 1.5m tree snake is very different to a 1.5m python. The other thing to remember is that these species really do like to be secure. Giving them too much room would mean you never see your snake out and about. Right now I'm watching mine hunting for a guppy. She is a subadult and in a 2x1.5x1.5 and she was perfectly happy in there with another subadult.

nah i just pump it all out and refill it every couple of weeks. when i do that, i throw a filter in there for an hour or two and bobs your uncle. Filter cleans out the displaced faeces and the fish get their water change. the guppies are going well in this setup, only the temps are a bit too high for breeding (which would be awesome if i wanted to reduce my feeding bill). snake eats predominantly guppies out of the water in the bottom of the enclosure but i occasionally throw in a small clear bowl with a couple of guppies/golfish to stimulate the hunting reflex. I get the impression that a few missed attempts in a larger water source puts them off trying again until they get one from a small bowl. I am thinking of a way to drop temps of the water by 4 degrees without affecting the temps of the enclosure as much in an attempt to both increase probability of guppy breeding and more importantly decrease risk of bacterial cultivation. might use a higher wattage basking lamp and not have it directly over the vine hide or another option is change the day/night from energy saver to another basking lamp for day temps.

Could you you put a natural cover suspended over the pond (say with 100 mm clearance) and then add a vent lower in the cage? This would allow the heat to be high and supposedly lower temp air (that sinks) to be down at the pond level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back