GTF not growing?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nakerz_the_herp

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My green tree frog (24 - 30 months old) hasn't been growing much lately. He (croaks at me when I play loud music -.-') Eats however many crickets (or wild bugs when they're out) dusted with calcium powder every now and again every 2 - 3 days. I feed him random amounts and usually on random days to simulate something a bit like wild life. About every month or 2 he gets a small pinky. He is only about 7cm and has been that size for at least 9 months or so. Decent temps. (18 - 28*C depending on a few variables), good feed, good calcium, good protein, good sized enclosure, UV every now and again, good water and good stimulation and hides. Any ideas why he isn't growing? Could it be that he just isn't going to get as big as some GTF's?

Last edited:
He still seems small for a Green Tree Frog. Literally every other one I have seen either captive or wild are easily twice the size of mine. I guess I have a small frog...

What it could be is simple sexual dimorphism, in this case your frog could be male as female green tree frogs are generally larger at adult size. Maybe not, as I have seen some huge males before too. I recieved a group of green tree frogs late last year and they were all much the same, sub adult size. Over the past 8 months some have become full adult size on a healthy, regular captive diet while others seem to be far smaller and have grown slower, regardless of feeding frequency. This doesn't seem to be attributed to gender as the largest and smallest alike croak. Some other variable is at play that I can't yet acertain, so your not alone at wondering about GTF growth rates.

He is only about 7cm and has been that size for at least 9 months or so.

I'd say he's definitely fully grown & this isn't an abnormal size for a male GTF. I have several that are only this size. There's often a sizable difference between the males & females.

If he is calling, he is probably a male. Males grow smaller than females. My female Red Eyed Tree Frog is significantly larger that of the males :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back