Gwardar

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuscus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
In the ironically named sunshine coast, surrounded
This poor chap is ( was? ) proberly a Gwardar or the Western Brown Snake Pseudonaja nuchalis, I'm sure I'll get heaps of differeing opinions ( but it isn't a deaf adder afro ).

He had been hit by a car and was in the centre of the road. I put my boots on ( I NEVER assume road kill is dead ) and grabbed the hook and went and had a look. The snake moved feebly as I approached. She had no noticable damage marks, I gently moved her off the road using the hook to lift her but she was very weak and didn't put up a struggle.

She had full movement for the first third of her body but lacked co-ordination further down but seemed to get better as I watched.

I left her at the side of the road near cover. I did debate if I should put her down but thought she was recovering. Transporting the animal was not an option.

hey fuscus nice pic mate and was just wandering are you doing a road trip mate?

doesnt look like a gwarder fuscy,
looks more like a mulga P. australis - (southern form)
where abouts was it ?

Near Ularu.
You could be right Westie, while the animal looks like the photo of Pseudonaja nuchalis in Wilson & Swan but Ehmann states that the Mulga has a red-brown eye, like that animal.
Both species are found in that area ( and both species are found near Adelaide )

Nice photo and like WestAussie said, definitely a mulga Fuscus. Two temporal scales between labial and parietal (Pseudechis) single temporal (Pseudonaja).
Cheers Dave

hey soulweaver he said that he left it and went away. and he also said it was recovering. y do u assume it died?

Very nice looking mulga, Ive only ever seen red ones, which most people seem to prefer in captives, but i love the darker ones it makes the lighter leading edge of each scale stand out more, giving that great reticulated pattern.

craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back