has this ever happend

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dymback

Reaction score
so yesterday i got a pair of hachling milli and they where fine at the guys house and they where put in a cricket container for transport,
we got home and i went to put them in there tank when i opened it one was fine but the other one was not moving but slowly breathing, so i put it in the tank and called the guy back and told him he said it could be stress and to leave it in a dark quiet room so i did all that but it later passed on.
i was just wondering if anyone would know if it could of being stress or something eles.
dont get me wrong the guy is a top bloke and gave me alot of good advice and i dont blame him i just wont to see what yous think

it was quite a big shock

cheers dymback

Perhaps it got over heated in the container during transport?

IsK

Plastic containers are not good for transporting animals. They heat up very quickly and dont exchange heat well.
Even with yesterdays conditions a trip in a cricket container in a car could be fatal.
Its a bit of a blow but you may need to wear this one.

the cricket container had a wet peice of paper towl in it and was only used as we forgot the a tank to pick it up in
and it was also not in the sun in a car with air con and the trip was less then 20 min

what would you say is a good thing to transport in so i can not have this happen again,
my poor other gecko is going to be loney know

I've not had this happen to me personally so I can only offer maybes. It doesn't sound like it got over heated. If it was fine at the other guy's house I can only assume it was the stress of being transported. Let us know how you go after letting him chill out for a couple of days.

As for travelling containers I (and many other breeders I know) use chinese-type containers with holes in them for transporting hatchling snakes so I don't know why you couldn't use them for geckoes. You can just put kitchen towel or something in with them to hide in and in an air-conditioned car they're not going to over-heat.

Cotton bags are my prefered transport container. Or small cages for larger animals so it can breath.

Bags are good for anything that isn't too small, I wouldn't transport geckos or small skinks species in bags as I've heard they will sometimes shed their tail in bags. I often use cricket tubs with no probs but I usually use a "bug box", which is one of those plastic containers with the coloured lid you can buy at petshops. I also put leaves or something in for the lizards to get under which I find stops them struggling to get out the whole trip.

I've used both the Chinese Containers and the cloth bags - but either way, they still go into a small foam esky for the journey. Keeps them dark and in a stable temperature.

:p

Hix

so the poor lil fella died ?
sorry to hear if he did :(
cheers
brad

the smaller the animal, the easier they overheat. Overheat a reptile and it will die in a heart beat. Special care should be taken when tansporting small nocturnal reptiles.

dymback,
I have used plastic ontainers with no probs. the Gecko probably did get overheated so keep it cool. Just lots of airholes, out of the sun when transporting and a damp paper towel for beneath the animals.

BTW: what sex is your castelnaui?
Shawn

BTW: what sex is your castelnaui?

my what
and it was in a container out of the sun with air holes and a damp cloth thing in the bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back