Have you ever felt like you just dodged a bullet?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im originally from the US and when I was three someone told me that you could tell if a snake was venomous by looking in their eyes. While we were at our mountain house I was just below the porch when my mom found me laying about 20 centimeters from a huge eastern diamondback rattle snake looking into its eye to see if it was venomous or not.

Im originally from the US and when I was three someone told me that you could tell if a snake was venomous by looking in their eyes. While we were at our mountain house I was just below the porch when my mom found me laying about 20 centimeters from a huge eastern diamondback rattle snake looking into its eye to see if it was venomous or not.

LOL that is scary.

I was on a plane from Sydney to Mudjimba once and it was storming when we were trying to land. The pilot came in WAY too fast, hit the tarmac and only JUST had a chance to get off the runway again before going into the bush.

The "near death" experiences I've had haven't been really scary (except the brown snake one, I was petrified), everything slows down and you can sort of anticipate what is going to happen.

My first two experiences were when i was very young living in PNG.

The first time my family and I were in a dash 8 landing at mendi airport when someone in a cesna decided to taxi out in front of our plane - all i can remember is the plane swerving and people screaming though.
The second was when I was in preschool and a group of rascals tried to rob an armorguard truck which lead to a shoot out right outside of the class room which I will never forget.

My only other experience like that was a car crash. Lane cove road in sydney - some idiot clipped a car, came over the traffic island, hit us, we spun out and on to the other side of the road into oncoming traffic. 6 cars were involved. I was lucky to suffer no injuries.

Ok...my stories not so good but, i nearly got hit in the face with a soccer ball today at soccer training...

Harry

In my younger days I was at a mates place having a few drinks when his neighbour, over the back, came and told us off for making noise at 630pm. After planning and grabbing supplies we decided a couple of midnight explosions would go well in front of his house. 2 of us snuck into his driveway and lit the fuses. Something went wrong with mine and flared up straight away only giving me time to turn my head before it went off. After running back to mates place shellshocked they drove me to the hospital. 9 stitches in my left thigh and many lacerations to my hand that was holding it was enough to wake me from my childish behaviour

Wow some amazing stories. I think everybody at some time or another has a brush with disaster....

When I was about 7 or 8 I discovered a black snake of a reasonable size (I won't try to guess for the sake of exaggeration) down in the entrance way of the local fire brigade which had an inset veranda / entrance way. Back then most of information on TV about snakes involved a tour guide standing near a snake charmer with a monocled cobra in a basket. So my solution was to run home and ask for wicker basket. I chose not disclose for what purpose the basket was for. Luckily my grandfather (god bless him RIP) chose to follow me out of curiosity more than any other reason and he just happened to have the dutch hoe in hand that he was using at the time to garden. Once I arrived back at the fire brigade with my grandfather just behind he then proceeded to dice up the snake before I had a chance to try and stuff it into the basket. Although it was only a black snake it would have been more than sufficient to knock a 7 year old on their ***.

Interesting stories longqi....how venomous is a blue banded krait? ie would an untreated bite be life threatening?
The kraits are amongst the deadliest snakes in asia. The many banded krait is the most venomous snake in asia. Australian snakes are great but if you are truly interested in snakes you should also seek out information about all the snakes of the world. There are some remarkable species out there both biologically & toxicologically speaking that nothing in Australia comes close to.

Last edited:
Mine isn't that good...
It happened last July while I was in scotland with my cousin and friend. We were at his/my friends house and we saw a grass snake slither under a big rock. It took 3 of us but we managed to tilt the rock up. It was on top of a small hill and i was holding the back end of the rock (so I was lower down than the others). I slipped and let go of the rock, it came rolling down while i was on the ground, straight for my head. I got up and ran. I got pinned against a fence with my foot under the rock (which weighed about 20kg BTW) but i was so happy that i had got up in time otherwise it wouldve crushed my head. No idea what happened to the snake :?

yep i dodged a front end loader off a bob cat

i was in this trench standing on top of a steel cage scraping the left over concrete out of the bucket.......when i copped a face and mouth full of oil after the hydraulic hose's snapped off with high pressure and it was hot,,,,in a split second i jump back(lucky my feet were not beneath the steel or i would not have been able to jump back as quick...) any way the bucket fell at the same time as the hose snapped and landed right on top of where i was standing like a guillotine......wedged into the steel cage.....the operator didn't put the bucket on properly..........i wasn't happy.....:evil:
i could have been chopped in half.....
front end.jpg

yeah i felt like i dodged a bullet

cheers steve

i was in this trench standing on top of a steel cage scraping the left over concrete out of the bucket.......when i copped a face and mouth full of oil after the hydraulic hose's snapped off with high pressure and it was hot,,,,in a split second i jump back(lucky my feet were not beneath the steel or i would not have been able to jump back as quick...) any way the bucket fell at the same time as the hose snapped and landed right on top of where i was standing like a guillotine......wedged into the steel cage.....the operator didn't put the bucket on properly..........i wasn't happy.....:evil:
i could have been chopped in half.....View attachment 195137

yeah i felt like i dodged a bullet

cheers steve

Whoa, thats all it takes....one mistake...sad thing is often it is not the one making the mistake that cops it.....lucky escape elapid

i was in the army back in 08 and i got a new bit of kit called a bivy bag its a waterproof sleeping bag cover anywho not knowing anything about the damn thing it was p+++ing down one night out field and i thought good chance to see if it works so when i finally got to get my 2hrs sleep i zip up my sleeping bag zip up my bivy bag not know that when its completly done up its airtight like a zip lock bag i woke up about 10mins later coughing and struggling for air lucky enough i was able to open it up intime before passinh out i didnt think much of it then but now i think about it if i passed out i wouldnt be here today.

thats my story :)

This isn't very good at all but..... When I was 6 I was riding my bike up and down and across my street when this car came up it. I thought 'How cool would it be if I rode in front if that car?!?!'. Well as it turned out it wasn't a very good idea at all, as the car came down the street and was about 10 metres from me I took off and the car was going faster then anticipated and I got passed by about 1metre.

I have one about a Red Backed spider but meh

Noone will believe mine but here goes......
I was at my dads jobsite and got bored so decided to go for a walk along the cliff (4-5m) edge. As i'm walking a rock crumbles, i fall and land on my back in the sand between some rocks. As i walk back up the stairs to the jobsite a pretty large brown snake slithers straight across my path, scary stuff.

I lived out at Cobourg Peninsular in NW Arnhem Land (paradise) for 3 years and met crocs almost daily. One day I let my guard down.

I was checking out a rock pool on the edge of the water, I had crushed a small crab and all sorts of amazing fish and crustaceans were coming out of the corals and crevices for a feed. I was squatting down (sound familiar Guzzo?) totally engrossed.

I went to stand up and the water behind me exploded! A 4m saltie had snuck up thinking I was wallaby size and lucky for me he got a surprize and bolted. But he came back and followed me along the coast as I walked the 3km home. That got my attention back where it was supposed to be ha ha!

Another time I got flattened by one a similar size. There are sea lice the size of mice out there and they get between the croc's scales for a bit of blood sucking. Obviously there is no joy in this for the crocs. To get rid of them the crocs go up the beach into small freshwater pools above the high tide mark. I was aware of this practice and checked that where there was a track going up there was another one coming down. If there wasn't I would circle around the back of the pool.

One beautiful afternoon I was walking along a beach mesmerised by a pair of huge manta rays feasting on juvie prawns in the shallows just a couple of meters from shore.
I heard a noise and spun around to see a big saltie flying down the slope and there was no time to do anything. He flattened me and ran straight over the top of me and into the sea. I was up in a flash and he was still heading out and you could see the spray flying as the manta rays bolted too.

There was a perfect impression of me in the sand with old mate's track over the top. It usually took me 45 minutes to get home from that spot but that day I did it in 15! Another reminder to PAY ATTENTION in the realm of the world's biggest reptile.

Anyway when I got back I grabbed my girlfriend and a dinghy and took her back to show her where it happened. While we there two crocs popped up off the shore, it was like one was saying "see, this is where the human tried to trap me!"

I heard a noise and spun around to see a big saltie flying down the slope and there was no time to do anything. He flattened me and ran straight over the top of me and into the sea. I was up in a flash and he was still heading out and you could see the spray flying as the manta rays bolted too.
If that is no joke, that is the scariest story in this thread. Isn't a saltie that size atleast 400kg though? I've been hammered by bulls about 800 KG, so I guess you could get away with it. That is crazy.

I was at an outdoor concert in a small victorian contry town, i was sitting on the ground. a mate walked past and i asked him to give me a hand up, he grabbed my hand and pulled me up, then straight away jumped back and yelled, i looked down and saw a baby brown snake slither through my legs. I dont know if i was sitting on it or it was curled up next to me or even just moving through at the time. But it nearly gave me a heart attack, lol. A local i.d. It then picked it up with a help from a stick and moved it into the buah away from people.

Call me silly but I never realised crocs were that sneaky. I always knew they were good but figured that for us "smart" humans it would be easy to spot them in the day time even without paying that much attention. I can't imagine what you'd think in the seconds between seeing that and the thing deciding not to eat you. Like you said Guzzo, we really are useless animals when it comes to physical attributes.

I lived out at Cobourg Peninsular in NW Arnhem Land (paradise) for 3 years and met crocs almost daily. One day I let my guard down.

I was checking out a rock pool on the edge of the water, I had crushed a small crab and all sorts of amazing fish and crustaceans were coming out of the corals and crevices for a feed. I was squatting down (sound familiar Guzzo?) totally engrossed.

I went to stand up and the water behind me exploded! A 4m saltie had snuck up thinking I was wallaby size and lucky for me he got a surprize and bolted. But he came back and followed me along the coast as I walked the 3km home. That got my attention back where it was supposed to be ha ha!

Another time I got flattened by one a similar size. There are sea lice the size of mice out there and they get between the croc's scales for a bit of blood sucking. Obviously there is no joy in this for the crocs. To get rid of them the crocs go up the beach into small freshwater pools above the high tide mark. I was aware of this practice and checked that where there was a track going up there was another one coming down. If there wasn't I would circle around the back of the pool.

One beautiful afternoon I was walking along a beach mesmerised by a pair of huge manta rays feasting on juvie prawns in the shallows just a couple of meters from shore.

There was a perfect impression of me in the sand with old mate's track over the top. It usually took me 45 minutes to get home from that spot but that day I did it in 15! Another reminder to PAY ATTENTION in the realm of the world's biggest reptile.

Anyway when I got back I grabbed my girlfriend and a dinghy and took her back to show her where it happened. While we there two crocs popped up off the shore, it was like one was saying "see, this is where the human tried to trap me!"

Man that takes the cake, not once but twice........I have often wondered how many times a croc has snuck up for a look and I have not even known....You sure were lucky Steve

Call me silly but I never realised crocs were that sneaky. I always knew they were good but figured that for us "smart" humans it would be easy to spot them in the day time even without paying that much attention. I can't imagine what you'd think in the seconds between seeing that and the thing deciding not to eat you. Like you said Guzzo, we really are useless animals when it comes to physical attributes.

They are the master of sneaky.....that is the thing with reptiles very paitent efficient predators.

Last edited:
When I was 3 I fell head first out of a 2 story building onto concrete. I had been looking out the window of a car dealership while mum and dad were signing papers, and decided to put my hands on the window and look down. There was no glass on the window and the fly screen was rotten, so I went straight through.
Luckily, I landed with my arm under my face, which the paramedics thought saved my life, or at the very least my face.
The only injury I had was a broken wrist and a concussion.

When I was 3 I fell head first out of a 2 story building onto concrete. I had been looking out the window of a car dealership while mum and dad were signing papers, and decided to put my hands on the window and look down. There was no glass on the window and the fly screen was rotten, so I went straight through.
Luckily, I landed with my arm under my face, which the paramedics thought saved my life, or at the very least my face.
The only injury I had was a broken wrist and a concussion.

That would be a parents nightmare.....wow lucky escape.

On another note -

When I get home I will post a pic of my friend I took out fishing in croc waters for the first time. He had his camera out and was snapping pics of crocs. We were in my 12ft tinnie (I called it the Beige Mist..haha always leaked and I would get cracks welded up all the time.....it was a junky boat but we had some adventures for sure....anyway) My friend saw a big croc on the bank and asked me to nose the boat in so he could take a pic......As I was taking a pic of him taking a pic that croc exploded straight at us and belted across the surface before slipping under the boat. Got a pic of it coming straight at us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back