Having Probs Keeping Temps Down for GTF's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rodentrancher

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
We live in a shed/flat. No roof insulation. Having lots of probs keeping temps down below 35degC. Having to keep door of big glassed-door terrarium open a little so the fluro light doesn't get it too hot. Sprinklers going on roof, big evaporative cooler going in wall, but still too hot for froggies I reckon! Gave em a misting 2nite, and the whole lot started croaking. We also have a UV light going during the day as well for 6 hrs. Fluro(white) is on for 12hrs. Can't wait till we buy Dave's Mum's property next door, as everything is very well insulated. Just waiting till she settles on which Pensioner Unit she wants to buy in town, hey? Darn hot here today. Someone said it was over 40C at 2pm. Not Summer for another week yet, still Spring??? Yeah right!! Cheers Cheryl

RE: Having Probs Keeping Temps Down for GTF

Chez, if the uv is not flouro,[and giving off heat] i think you could do without it! Ive heard of folk keeping cearulea with uv at all and doin fine. try a fan directed past vent/s to help cool. Other than than keep misting, add frozen water bottle to water area but be sure the frogs cant contact it directly
cheers

Hi Inny, I just knew that you could help me out with an answer here my friend. Hey Dan, it is the white Fluro that is giving off all the heat! Not the UV Fluro! Seems to be very hot when the UV and the white fluro are going at the same time. Can the froggies go ok with just the Blue UV Fluro?? should we keep the white one off on the hot days? Cheers Cheryl

Yeah just forget the hot one. flouros shoudnt really give off much heat normally tho. The uv flouro will serve as light/photoperoid just set it to 12 hrs or the normal day period you have it on, no probs, thats all I use. They ignore thelight anyway and have sensitive eyes, mostly they hide away so just the uv flouro is fine. cheers :D
p.s. itll be the ballast that gets hot , just ensure lots of ventilation around the flouro. If the flouro is above the enclosure heat should rise away with sufficient ventilation, maybe put a small block under each end so its slightly above the tank top surface. Direct the fan thru their to create airflow. do you have side vents in the fridge down low? this will make a big difference as will good ventilation in the ceiling of it. :wink:

Cherly, up here (Cairns) you find frogs within inches of boiling hot corrugated roofs all day long, we have one that lives in a downpipe 6 inches from guttering so hot you cant touch it. So I am no expert but I am guessing that what we do have is very high humidity so keep up that misting.
As I say I am no expert and you have already been given misting advice but I thought the heat examples may make you sleep a little easier.
Good luck, amazing animals frogs.

Ok, thanks for all the input guys. I've now turned off the white fluro, and am directing airflow thru the vents with a fan. Seems to be keeping temperature down to the 32-33C degree mark. Much better. Cheers Cheryl PS we have plenty of water in there for them to soak, so should be alright now.

Re: RE: Having Probs Keeping Temps Down for GTF

michaelh said:
Cherly, up here (Cairns) you find frogs within inches of boiling hot corrugated roofs all day long, we have one that lives in a downpipe 6 inches from guttering so hot you cant touch it. So I am no expert but I am guessing that what we do have is very high humidity so keep up that misting.
As I say I am no expert and you have already been given misting advice but I thought the heat examples may make you sleep a little easier.
Good luck, amazing animals frogs.

This is good helpful info!

The GTF's are very tolerant to quite high heat and love humidity. If you allow for an area that is wet with either soil or a moss of some kind, you will find they will rest there and bog in. Just keep the water clean, they will do the rest :D Inny is spot on with the air flow as that will create an evaporative cooling effect on their skin, if & when they feel the need to cool down. They are smart, and reasonably hardy! :D Frogs like these are indeed beautiful creatures :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back