Heat Cord Help!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twiggz

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi just wanting to know if its safe to bury heat cord inside an intended Ring Tailed Gecko enclosure. It would only be a low wattage cord, say 13-15W, and would be burried under say 6cm of sand/peat substrate.

I just need some opinions as to whether it would be safe for the inhabitants to have the heating source placed internally.

I want to avoid heating it externally to the enclosure if possible.

Regards
Twiggz

i just put mine under the enclosure, in between the glass at the bottom and polystyrene

yeah- i want to avoid that though.

I dont really need a high wattage mat, and am trying to avoid buying another thermostat.
I just think that using a low wattage mat and placing it under the enclosure- it woud be a struggle to heat the substrate as the timber base would hold the majority of the heat.

Did that make any sense?

ahh ok so its a timber base, well if its only a low wattaged heat cord it will be fine

Hi

I would suggest siliconing 1/4 of the base & 1/4 from the bottom of one end side - I wouldn't put the heat cord in the enclosure but on the outside only. I have found a 15W sufficient on the outside with out the use of a dimmer or thermostate - but then I guess for safety reason maybe use one or the other to stop possible over heating.

Ring Tails do get heat stressed.

i thought ring taileds would love the heat?

Just bury it like you wre going to it will be fine, although i think it would need to near the surface or it wont do much. Just play around with it untill you get the temperatures you want.

So is that how yours are heated ari?
With a 15w cord under one end?
I was thinking that if it came to placing a heat source externally then a mat would be the way to go then.
I've read that ringies should be housed with a hot spot of mid to high 20's. But nothing beyond 30 as it would be fatal. That was in Dannys paper i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back