heating and lighting...which is the best?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeth

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
i was wondering about some of the heating and lighting setups people use in their cages. i thought it would be good to get some other ideas out in the open.

keeth

for some cages i use heat pads and for my coastal i use a ceramic lamp. I also use a heat rock for a cunninghams skink

my setup is fairly simple..a fluro that stays on during the day and an infra red that is controlled by a thermostat. the temps range from about 25-31 degrees..
i also have a heat mat at the bottom

ceramic conected to a thermostat. heat pad and a 60W light globe.

Heat pad and heat rock for beardie aswell as a infared globe ( not connected to thermostat yet!) At the moment just a heat pad for my bub coastal as he is in a kritter keepery thingo....

here is a dont: I have a 5x5x2ft enclosure with lots of glass and too much ventilation, i didnt cool my pyth over winter, was using 250watt infrared to heat. Result =$700 power bill over 3 months!!! Guess who will be cooling this coming winter AND getting a new enclosure!~ lol

i just have a heat pad on the bottem of my cage for my maccies though i have been told i should switch to a light now that they are older. My heat matt is not on a thermostat so on the hot days in QLD i turn it off.

when i get a heat lamp i will have a thermostat, which i am hoping to get next month as Summer is just around the corner and the method i'm using at the moment isn't very reliable.

Summer

I think it depends on the animal.U.V lights are great for reptiles.
And a heat bulb for temps is essential i think.
My little babies only ever get heat pad on thermostat.
My lizards similar to snakes just need a light to bask under.Lizard sits 100mm under bulb.Nice and hot.
Mainly use lights controlled by thermostat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back