HELP!? Bluetongue!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

absinthe_616

Reaction score
i took the babies outside for some sunlight, and one of them started flatening themselves and heaving as if he was going to poo. he sat there for quite a while with nothing happening so i gently picked him up and plopped him in the small water dish in the tub. he sat in there, still flat, and then slowly began to fall sideways into it, until he was entirely curved in the dish. i thought it was funny at first. but he was still heaving. so to check on him i picked him up, and his body didnt change shape. it was still stiff and in the same position. his anal opening was open and seemed fine, but nothing.
i put him back in the bowl, trying to sit him straight, but hes fallen back into the same position and hasnt moved.

is he ok????

Attachments

• 22122009190.jpg
    22122009190.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 22122009191.jpg
    22122009191.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 230
  • 22122009193.jpg
    22122009193.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 273
  • 22122009194.jpg
    22122009194.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 194
maybe?

hi im not sure but wat substrate is that? ive heard some the lizard can eat an it clogs them so take to vet asap

can someone tell me the nearest place for reptiles? i have no car and am in south brisbane

The flattening in the sun is ok, but the way in the last 2 pics his back doesnt look to good. Just take him to the vet to get a check up.

From www.bluetongueskinks.net

Metabolic Bone Disease

MBD is usually caused by one simple thing: A lack of variety in the diet. Essentially, it comes down to a lack of calcium, and/or a Calcium/Phosphorus imbalance. Many fruits are rich in phosphorus. So, if you feed your blue tongue mainly fruits, he's likely not getting the calcium he needs. Same with any food. VARIETY is key. Lack of any UV lighting (including the sun) can also be a factor. In reptile language, MBD is actually somewhat similar to the human version of the disease, "osteoporosis" which in a nutshell, is a weakening of the bones. There are a large number of symptoms including stunted growth, softening of the bones, lumps on the back or tail, a jerky walking motion or labored movement, shaking or little twitches in the legs & toes (which means the nerves have been affected), violent convulsions, and it can even become so advanced as to affect the internal organs, cause partial or full paralysis, and even bone fractures. In the case of partial paralysis, your skink will probably walk with its front legs, but drag its entire body behind him.
Treatment
Treating MBD entirely depends upon what started it in the first place. To treat it, you have to KNOW what caused it. Whether it be poor conditions, no UV lighting (needed to metabolize calcium), or a terrible unbalanced diet, it's important to reverse whatever it is you were doing (or perhaps you acquired the animal in this condition). If you had an unbalanced diet, do your research and start feeding your animal the correct diet—one of course that is rich in calcium to bring balance back to the animal's system. If UV lighting is the case, take your animal outside often and let it soak in the hot sun. If there is no sun out, use a powerful fluorescent UV bulb. In the case of MBD, I would not rely on an incandescent bulb as many claim UV rays which they might not have. A common question asked is if MBD is reversible. The answer is that it's not reversible per se, but definitely treatable. Once a BTS has a severe "hump", it's pretty much there to stay unless the MBD is only causing swelling of the bones. If the bones are swelled, treatment such as increased calcium and natural sunlight will bring the system back into balance thusly minimizing the swelling in the bones. If the lumps are caused by bone breakage however, then any healing process would be much slower, and even that depends on how and where the bones were broken. Imagine doing nothing and that hump becomes progressively worse eventually killing the animal. That's what would happen if one kept doing the same things. If you recognize the problem (many don't) and begin offering a correct diet, the bones will become less "soft" and begin to harden hence stopping the effects of the disease. It won't reverse the effects (unless the bones are not broken—MBD causes bones to become spongy and easily breakable), but it will keep them from getting worse.
When the bones begin to diminish, a special tissue or cartilage if you will, will connect to the bone in an attempt to heal it. As the skink forages around, the pressure and strain from movement causes the affected (and often swollen) bones to bend—because of the MBD—or even snap causing lumpy and irregular shaped areas on the animal. Remember, irregular shaped areas can also be the effects of enlarged or swollen bones in which case proper treatment can help reverse the problem.
mbd1.jpg

mbd2.jpg

mbd3.jpg

mbd4.jpg

mbd5.jpg

mbd6.jpg

mbd7.jpg

mbd8.jpg

mbd9.jpg

mbd10.jpg

mbd11.jpg

A similar thing can happen in dragons when they have a pinched nerve.

Last edited:
I agree with Aiigaru it looks like a pinched nerve not MBD but the best thing to do is consult a vet.

Must admit I just looked at the pics and skimmed through the blurb.:oops:

Didn't realise it happened in the space of a morning.

MBD would be more of a gradual process wouldn't it?

This isn't MBD those are babies...... a spinal dislodgement of some form maybe ????

& I would use a more knowledgeable reptile vet such as Clayton Knight at Deception Bay.

hi guys, just thought id let everyone know how the little guy is.

after i finally got him there to see someone, he was still in his curvy state, but it had eased slightly and he wasnt so bent up. they told me it was either a pinched nerve, dislodged disc from straining too much (as he was trying to poo i believe before it happened) and hes ruptured something OR a cyst on his spine. either way, without getting an xray for confirmation of the worst, i was told to just take him home, keep him nice and warm, feed him water mixed with calcium and wait to see if he fixes up. hes at home now. hes lying straight on his tummy finally, still a little flat, and theres still no pain receptors in his lower body (lighly pinching his sides or legs) BUT just before, he pooed, and there was SLIGHT movement in his tail and right back leg, so i think thats affirmative hes gaining muscle control back :)

thanks for everyones help! ill keep you updated

yeah. its touch and go. i hope he'll make it. i was in tears taking him to the vet, thinknig the worst. i love my little guys more than anything.

...I had a snake that was injured badly by a shovel ,it was constantly in the water and even after the tail was amputated ,it soaked in the water dish ..although I had to size down the water dish , so the wound would dry up and heal nicely ...but water must soothe and calm them down when in pain or stress ...

I hope the little fella gets better

Last edited:
thanks red. hes soaking now, he seems pretty calm... :( cant imagine how much pain hes in but

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back