Help! Urgent!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patto

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, my enclosure has overheated any my pythons isnt well he's not moving much at all, please help what should i do, ive got him out and trying to keep him cool......any help would be must appreciated

Put him in cold water ASAP, that's all I can offer you.
How big is the snake & enclosure? What wattage is the globe?

Hey Patto

Run the bath mate!

If your worried about over heating, make sure the water bowl is big and deep enough to bath in. They will do the rest!

Good luck :wink:

the enclosures about 1200mm high 1000 wide the wattage is 60

I would be using room temperature water & slowly introduce fresh "cold" water over the next hour or so.

I would be trying to reduce the body temp of the snake gradually.
A decrease in temps during the breeding season with Herps in captivity are done over a period of time to avoid problems such as respitory infection. I know with fish that a sudden change in temps can be fatal.

ok thanks yeah im just using room temp, and thats why i asked you guys......what jand said

I agree with JandC_Reptiles, you dont want to dip the snake straight into cold water. I think luke warm water or water at room temps would be better. I'd keep it in the water for an hour and see how it goes. After that i would put it back in its enclosure with no heat, just room temps.

Unfortunately such a traumatic ordeal like overheating could possibly lead to neurological problems, lack of co-ordination and death of the animal within the next few days. You'll just have to leave it alone and let it sort itself out.

It may be a good idea to tube feed it some fluids to help hydrate it.

I'm curious how the enclosure overheated - there isn't much ventilation? What temperature did the enclosure reach?

:p

Hix

It is HOT for us all.... I think it will do fine in the bathroom if you put about an inch in the bath and release him into the room so he will find his own COMFORT ZONE ooooppppssss close and seal the room 8) 8)

I had a heatmat melt a hole in a pastic tub once and the little childreni sitting right over it still seems fine. The thermostat dial got bumped up and it reached about 50 if I remember rightly. They're pretty tough little critters, a lot of them are from the desert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back