-Help With Baby Bearded Dragon-

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Driake

Reaction score
Hi everyone i recently got a Bearded Dragon Hatchie he is nearly 3 weeks old and the first night i got him he ate a couple of crickets but since then he wont eat anything and it has been a few days anyone have any ideas....?
Thanks Everyone...

Has it got a hot end & cold end in the enclosure? If the hot end is too hot or too cold it will effect it's eating. They get freaked out if their enclosure is too big. They will not chase their food at that age so enclosure needs to be small or have a small feeding area. Not sure about hatchlings, but I know with older ones they often don't eat much during cooler months. Talking to the breeder you got it from is also a good idea.

Is he fine apart from that? He does'nt have his head to one side or losing balance or anything similiar to that?

How long have you had him? He may just need to settle in a bit more. Try chopping up some parsely finely and leave it on a plate. He like to nibble on something different. Mix it up a bit. Don't forget calcium but not too much.

Thank yous both for your information shortly after i posted this thread he finally ate :D so its all good i think i was just overreacting and getting a little worried...:D
Thanks Heaps, Brett...

we all get worried mate, you think thats bad my beardie didnt eat for 3-4months and he is a juvie.
i guess he just went through one of those tennage food strike (he eats everything now!)

Better to be safe than sorry I reckon. If your not sure always check with someone - I know I do.

Shamous can you elaborate on the comment about not too much calcium? I heard something similar before and was wondering what is too much and what the effects are of having too much.

If you give them too much calcium they can have severe problems which can result in death. You tend to get an animal with it's head turned on one side and also loss of balance. (Always read the label on the calcium bottle for directions when not sure).

Another cause of this is feeding a small beardie a food item which is too big. An example of this would be a large cockroach that is too big for it.

I had a beardie suffer the tilting bit and after gaining some much needed info from Twingums in Sunbury I was able to fix the problem and never had it occur again.

Hope I've helped and not confused.

Thanks mate, so if this does occur in an animal are you saying it can be reversed? I am pretty sure I am not giving my beardie too much calcium but I would hope that if such symptoms did surface that I would be able to rectify the problem.

One bit of advice I got from a beardie breeder which I now stick to (for young ones at least) is NO food longer than the distance between its eyes.

I think every case would be different. But I would say if it was too much calcium then the best thing to do is to stop calcium for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back