Help with gecko shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Talanthas

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a few Christinus marmoratus and am a little concerned at the state of one that is shedding. I had one other that was shedding pass away :cry: and unfortunately I have no idea why. They are fed at least every other day with a handful of small crickets. Fresh water daily and sprayed every day. Here are a couple of pics of the one I'm concerned about just after I sprayed them. Sorry if they are too large but I wanted as much detail as I could get

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

This is the enclosure

IMG_0081.jpg

that looks nasty :(
before i get flamed ~ only suggesting ~ maybe take out the sand? are your temps and humidity levels ok?
Hope you get some real anwsers...ask geckoman?

The temps should be fine as its found in Victoria, but I have a 25w heatcord buried in the sand to keep the temp at around 20 deg. The humidity ranges from 60 - 70% I've been hand feeding this one as it seems a bit sluggish compared to the other two and doesn't really hide. Hopefully someone will be able to help me out

maybe moisting one area of the tank and put a terracota saucer upside down with a entry hole cut into it over the moist area and drop the spray back to every 2nd or 3rd day it will sit in the terracotta if it need miosture might be a skin infection drying it out might help....

i might sound completely stupid here.
but, if you have the heat cord running directly through the enclosure, any chance the little guy has burnt himself?
that looks mighty painful >_< i hope he gets better.

id give it a warm bath ,make sure the water isnt too hot . to me it just looks like the sheeding skin is puffed up because u had gave it a spray with some water . then took the pics ?
"Here are a couple of pics of the one I'm concerned about just after I sprayed them"

looks as tho the humidity might be a bit to high for themyou only need to spray there cages about once every 3 days or so and the wrong subtrate for these geckos the sand yould be like glass to your gecko rember thay have soft skin and easly scratchedyou need to get some that less corse and wash to smooth it out and dose he have any uv light if not give him a bit of sun light as for the sheading problem it looks as tho it may have retained skin on him gently wipe him with wet toilet paper towle to see if it will come of
and check that he has not been brent but the heat cord

The temps should be fine as its found in Victoria, but I have a 25w heatcord buried in the sand to keep the temp at around 20 deg. The humidity ranges from 60 - 70% I've been hand feeding this one as it seems a bit sluggish compared to the other two and doesn't really hide. Hopefully someone will be able to help me out

25w heat cord under the sand would make some damn hot sand, u got a thermostat and thermometer? check the temps....

I only have the heat cord there for when it get really cold here (3-5 degrees) so as yet haven't really had to use it. I have a thermometer for air temp but not one for the sand. No thermostat to regulate the heat cord yet but its something to get in the near future. Will make sure its not used until I get one. Was told that as these are nocturnal they wouldn't need UV. Not sure where I could get finer sand as I thought the sand that I was using was quite fine already.

Had a closer look and I would agree that it has retained some of its previous shed. Looks like it has caught the edge of it and peeled the new skin off along with the old. How would I know if it had been burnt, what would I need to look for?

Poor little fella, looks very painful.
If it was mine i'd be taking him straight to a Vet. ASAP.
If new skin has peeled off, there's a chance of infection there.

Hope he comes good soon

I'm in Melton in Vic. He seems to be getting a lot more active since I started spraying him daily and giving him prekilled crickets. He is now foraging at night and moving around instead of just sitting in the same place.

there is a reptile vet in altona, or you can bring him across to shane simpson. considering you lost the other one i would find out wots wrong if it were me.

Your enclosure is too dry, moisten the sand a bit by pouring in some water so the lower levels hold moisure keeping the humidity higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back