herping central australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

python blue

Reaction score
Hi APS members,
some time this year im going herping in central australia there are a couple of places of interest are as followed,
Windorah
Simpson Desert
Alice Springs
Palm Valley
Ayers Rock
Kata Tjuta Nat.park
Docker River
Warburton
Marlabore
Coober pedy
Wilcannia
Cobar
Nyngan
now my questions what herps do i expect to find,what season is best for herping and any pics of peopel who have herped out in these regions of the animals.

All the way along the GCR are great places to find herps any of the breakaway spots you'll find herps, rockholes are OK and any of the road houses you stay will have plenty of herps round them. I found numerous even just driving along the road and empress springs is pretty good for a couple of days as well. We have been out there for the last 2 easter breaks and its been brilliant as the rain has proceeded the trip both times. The other place we went last easter was the east mcdonald ranges and up through cattlewater pass plenty of herps out there as well

thank you all i now have wilccania of my list of stops, Stencorp69 what type of reptiles did you see out there in some of those places if you dont mind me asking.

I'm not the best at taking pic as I'm usually too preoccupied with looking at the herps, but I've got some from the GCR.

Attachments

• IMG_1058.JPG
    IMG_1058.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1071.JPG
    IMG_1071.JPG
    437.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1077.JPG
    IMG_1077.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1087.JPG
    IMG_1087.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 130
A few more. I didn't see many snakes - a western brown snake was the only one I could positively identifiy, but whips, spotted browns and mulga at the western end of the road around cosmo

Attachments

• IMG_1104.JPG
    IMG_1104.JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 79 - Thorny Devil.JPG
    79 - Thorny Devil.JPG
    282.5 KB · Views: 123
thank you so much those pics are great did you do any night herping?so do you reckon that around easter time is good for it all.

wow great pics how long were you out and about in the simpson desert and same with alice springs

how long were you out and about in the simpson desert and same with alice springs

I was in the Simpson for about two weeks trapping small reptiles and mammals as part of a research project. I was in Alice Springs for just two nights.

Stewart

what time of year do you think is best to go?eg.summer,winter etc.

Summer will be too hot (for you) for many of the places you want to visit, winter will be too cold. I think March/April or September/October would be good. I was in the Simpson in September, and Alice in January. I saw heaps of stuff at those times.

Stewart

Stencorp69, your first image looks like a Western netted Dragon, am I right? Very cool lizards.

Python Blue, Easter is getting pretty late for good herping in the desert. Cool weather is just around the corner by then. Strike a bad (ie. cold) week and you won't see much at all.

Stencorp69, your first image looks like a Western netted Dragon, am I right? Very cool lizards.

Python Blue, Easter is getting pretty late for good herping in the desert. Cool weather is just around the corner by then. Strike a bad (ie. cold) week and you won't see much at all.

might be a central military- easter is pretty good for day time and early evening herping - this year will be pretty good too because easter's early this year

Ummm... No. The third shot is a female military dragon, but the first looks to me like a western netted. They have extremely different habitat requirements. Can you tell me where the first shot was taken, or at least describe the habitat (I'm thinking heavy loamy soil, mulga, maybe some scattered rocks but otherwise little ground cover)?

Lat 27deg 40.7894 min S Long 124 11.0612min E - Beegull waterhole just past cosmo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back