Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jordo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This time I went up to Mt. Kosciusko as part of a Botany trip for uni in Feb.

On the way to the first site we stopped to check out Little River Gorge, the largest gorge in Victoria, very impressive.
AustralianAlps027.jpg

The first stop was in a mixed white box and white cypress pine dominated community near Suggan Buggan, Vic where we camped the first night right on the Snowy River.
The lighter plants are the white box eucalypts and the darker patches are the cypress pines.
AustralianAlps038.jpg

View of the Snowy River, the weather was ok so we went for a bit of a swim in the arvo when we arrived.
AustralianAlps043.jpg

I went for a walk hoping for a few frogs but it yielded nothing (although I could hear them calling), we had some cheeky visitors around the camp site foraging for left-overs.
AustralianAlps029.jpg

In the morning we were greeted by a male emu with one of his young taggging along behind (no pics).
AustralianAlps030.jpg

I saw a couple of reptiles including, a garden skink, plenty of copper tailed skinks too fast to catch, a gippsland water dragon and a massive, very aggressive cunningham (no pics sorry :()
After we left the woodlands to go to the sub-alpine habitat I saw a beautiful yellow blotched bluey on the road, but we didn't stop for it (it's very hard to convince a botanist to stop for an awesome looking lizard).

A short stop at 1400m above sea level to classify the eucalyptus species revealled this little guy, my first ever mountain dragon which sparked some interest from the students and even some of the botany staff ;)
AustralianAlps047.jpg

In Kosciusko park we stayed in cabbins and were visited by roos which the owners fed.
AustralianAlps119.jpg

We finally got out into the sub-alpine habitat. We walked past Blue Lake.
AustralianAlps079.jpg

Found this little native bee? beside the path.
AustralianAlps074.jpg

Whilst on the insect topic the typical insects include this metallic green roach and the alpine grasshopper (both very striking).
AustralianAlps109.jpg

AustralianAlps102.jpg

Southern water skinks were common around the rocky streams, I also saw one E. koscioskoi but couldn't get any pics of it.
AustralianAlps108.jpg

Some more scenery...
AustralianAlps107.jpg

Note the grey snow patch along the left side of the ridge in this shot, the snow is deposited on the south side and protected from the sun so it takes a lot longer to melt (only fully melted a few weeks before we got there)
AustralianAlps094.jpg

During one of our walks I noticed this hare trying to mimick a rock by the look of it, was able to get very close before it dashed away.
AustralianAlps011.jpg

Was lucky enough to see about 10 White-lips this trip, usually quite flicky this guy sat still for one good shot.
AustralianAlps111.jpg

And given our study sites were very close to Guthega it was no suprise we found plenty of Egernia guthega
AustralianAlps061.jpg

awesome shots i used to live near mt Kosciusko it was an amazing place full of vens

Great pics and story, jordo. I have never seen a roach like that -- pretty amazing insect. The Guthega Skink was a nice one. It is good to hear that they are common in that area.

What was making the ripples in the "some more scenery shots" pic? Did you see Platypus?

Regards,
David

Great pics and story, jordo. I have never seen a roach like that -- pretty amazing insect. The Guthega Skink was a nice one. It is good to hear that they are common in that area.

What was making the ripples in the "some more scenery shots" pic? Did you see Platypus?

Regards,
David

Thanks for the replies, a Platypus would have been nice (do they occur in the alps?) but the ripples were caused by people attempting to skip stones on the water.
That lake is the one you can see in the snow patch shot, we walked along the ridge then cut down into the valley.

Can't believe I didn't post a Pseudomoia! This guy peering out of a crack is P. entrecaustauxii, once again very common good tucker for the white-lips.
AustralianAlps012.jpg

Great pics as usual. Now I'll really have to force myself to get up there once the snow melts!:)

There are Platypus in the alps including higher up on Mt. Kosciusko.

Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back