Herping isn't always fun

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ad

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Ive just been told my male boyds has articular gout and it is terminal.
It is apparantly found in green iguanas and no cure has been found.
Ive had him on pain killers these last 4 days while the vet has tried to find correspondense that might help. all in all I have to put him down.
sorry to relay a horrible story but Im feeling pretty low right now.
Ad.

Sorry to hear it Ad.
On a positive note though,
atleast you can look forward to he's offspring that are on the way to hatching...

My sympathies Ad, always a downer to have to destroy an animal.

sorry to hear such a sad thing, i hope the vet finds something real soon,

What a shocker Ad but if I understood Mystic Herps correctly, you are expecting some bubbies from him. Is this condition found in both wild and captive animals and what exactly is this condition. My only experience with regards to gout is with the over indulging in seafood or alcohol human species.
My sympathies.
Rina

There's nothing worse than a favourite animal dying, hopefully your offspring will do really well.

sorry about the boyds ad, not good news at all.
gout = septic arthritis?

Hi and thanks everyone,
Articular gout is in the joints of the animal, it is occuring in captive male boyds at 3-4 years of age. Basically it is the white part of their poo that their kidneys cant process and this builds up in their joints.
If you spot it in their toes initially (absolutely impossible) there may be some hope.
His arm was swollen and I thought that the female had bitten him, when I noticed other joints starting to swell I took him to the vet.
It is painful for the animal because it is abrasive in their joints, I could have him surgically drained and on pain killers to try and breed more (the female is sooo ready) but even after draining the damage is done and his joints will be forever painful.
A consolation may be with offspring, and then another 4 years of raising. This guy was tiny when I got him and I have watched him mature over 4 years into a fine example of a boyds, I think the older they get the cooler they look and he was starting to look great.
Its a shame,
Cheers
Ad.
ps. It always concerns me that all this data is not being recorded (or is it). Is it diet, housing, substrate etc that causes this, where can I register what process this animal lived by so the data is being collated and acted upon?
I would also like to thank Tim at URS and Danny Brown for their assistance/advice/expertise.

that sux ad...sorry to hear it

always to sad to loose pride animal. Hope you will get ower this soon.

Ya poor bugga.That sucks.
Feel for the pain the boyds must be going through too.
I have seen these first hand and they are beautiful animals.
Hard break champ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back