Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gonff

Reaction score
went herping this weekend at wombat state forrest.

saw 2 tiger snakes soz no pics, one was in the water hole, other in the bush

some jacky dragons *see pics

and a tonne of skinks eg...water skinks.....garden skinks.....grass skinks... yer

i also found a lot of large skinks hiding in between rock crevices wich i am convinced are tree skinks. the only thing is that we dont (according to my reptile book)have tree skinks in the erea??? the pic i got is crap, and u kant see the white lipps but i am sertain it is a tree skink. they were really fast!

:)

thnx

-gonff-

enjoy

last 2 pics are of the landscape

:)

Attachments

• DSCF3541.jpg
    DSCF3541.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCF3540.jpg
    DSCF3540.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCF3553.jpg
    DSCF3553.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCF3551.jpg
    DSCF3551.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCF3552.jpg
    DSCF3552.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 150
oh the first dragon looks more like a mountain dragon, I may be wrong though

Nice pic's :)

That was cool you were able to handle them ;)

Thanks for sharing them.

I think your "tree skinks" are actually Black Rock Skinks Egernia saxatilis.

Check in a book if you have one....I'm not 100% sure...perhaps someone else will confirm.

Sounds like you had a good day out.

nah, the head doesnt look much like the black rock skink..

by the way the book i have is the second edition of ''a complete guide of reptiles of australia''
by steve wilson and gary swan

Attachments

• DSCF3559.jpg
    DSCF3559.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 63
pretty sure they are mountain dragons aswell due to the patterning on their back , i get jackys around where i live and they look a little different to that .

3rd pic look like cunninghams skink. they live in rock crevices and note the prickly tail. it is used to lodge them in to the stone so that they cant be ripped fom a crevice and only loose the end of their tail instead of their life.

they didnt have prickly tailes coz! there whole body was smooth like a skink

they arent cunninghams but could be either tree skinks or as said above black rock skinks.

tree skinks will inhabit trees aswell as rock crevices so they are not completely ruled out.

im not sure where wombat park is but mcpheei look similar and also inhabit rocks?

cheers
nath

Wombat State Forest is only a hour north west of Melbourne. According to my distribution map in Coggers that would preclude Tree Skinks....but distribution maps are also notorious for being wrong.

ah ok cool. im not sure on the distribution of tree skinks in victoria but if thats the case then i would say they are definitly Egernia saxatilis.

nath

no, it had a different head to the black rock skink. it didnt have a black head. it was greyish with bright white/silver lipps. black rock skinks dont have that!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back