hibernation help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zionkeeper

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a childrens python, he became family around easter. Took him on quite suddenly and with little information (previous owners told me alot and have researched online ever since) but im stuck with him going into hibernation. He doesnt seem to want too at all and the previous owners were insistant that it was necessary. Ive dropped the thermostat like recommended. Ive given him a big feed and he shed the first week I had him.
Im starting to worry and im not sure if i shouldn be worried or not or what else I can really do. I keep feeding him like normal as hes still active.
Tips? Advice?
Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

P.s. I know theres another term for hibernation. Cant remember what it is. Lol. Sorry. Very new to it all!

How old?
What temperatures are you running in your enclosure?

Brumation is the word you're looking for, and it's not going to kill him if he doesn't brumate this season.

Snakes will still be active during brumation, they dont sleep 24/7 like an animal that hybernates. In winter males will be out with something other than food on his mind, the ladies, so pacing is normal.

Haha thanks ^^ never even thought of that. Haha. Oh dear. Should I keep feeding him as normal or slow it down? Any other tips?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

You should still aim to have your daytime temps up to at least 30 deg C or more and switch the heat off at night......if you are not breeding though it isn't really necessary to cool....if the animal is feeding then let it feed there is nothing wrong with that, most adult pythons will naturally go off their food at this time of year but some won't, just be sure you give it adequate heat so it can digest properly..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back