Home made dog food

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristy_07

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey,
On top of the herps, I've also got two big dogs - a mastiff (Kaiser, 3yrs, 55kgs), and Lexi (wolfhound, 6mths, 30kgs). These guys eat heaps, so I started making my own food for them at home to help with costs. I thought I'd just throw you a quick recipe in case any one else is in the same boat. Also great for fussy eaters, dog with allergies or skin conditions, and it's a fair bit cheaper in the long run, too!

5kg x brown rice
6 heaped tbsp x beef/chicken stock powder
1kg x pet mince/turkey mince/fish (according to price, taste, and not too fatty)
1kg x frozen green beans
1kg x frozen mixed veg (carrots, corn, etc)
8 x raw eggs
500g x unsalted peanut butter
1L x sour cream
2-3 big globs of molasses

Boil up rice, mince & veggies, mix everything together, and then I portion into 600g containers and freeze. Each dog gets 1 container plus the same in biscuits every day. YUMMMMMM!!!

Obviously you can make smaller batches if you want, but it definitely makes for cheaper and better quality food than just supermarket bikkies, can food, and dog logs. Eggs, the oils in peanut butter, and molasses is great for their coats, and most dogs don't get enough green stuff from bikkies (hence why they eat grass). Enjoy, puppies! :)

copied.. and pasted.. thanksKristy.. my bull arabs have quite an appetite,i will def try this out. 8)

I bet they'll love it, schizmz :) .....I wonder if my irish wolfhound puppy could eat more than your 2 arabs? :D she's currently sitting outside in the rain, eating a piece of old wood she found in the garden... *sigh*

prob..their greedy lil girls..lol

going-to-the-river-yay-25852.jpg

I haven't checked recently, Word :) But if not, it goes straight through them, but I found the mixed veg better than just giving them carrots, so this is what my dogs get. This is just an outline, feel free to mix it up.

Yer we don't use normal dog food that stuff is poison!!! So Sue and I go to the the fruit shop and buy all the cheap veggies and come home and blend it all every think you can think of nearly Carrot, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, spinage, apple, squash, tinny bit of ginger, I have probably forgotten some stuff there.. We started doing this after one dog we had died from cancer at the age of 3. The other one I still have had a terrible skin allergy. But since this diet mixed with mince that has all gone! They also get fresh chicken a few times a week normally wings or Maryland's

The thing with a dog is it is natural for them to eat the gut contents of a animal first. Now our dogs are so healthy, always have a good healthy poo and there coats couldn't be shiner

Like I said at the top shop bought Pet food is poison!!

Just one more thing Rice is not very good for dogs. But most likely a hell of a lot better than shop poison and any veggies they eat should not be cooked at all

Lewy

Last edited:
Sounds like a good recipe, but i'm not 100% sure about the peanut butter i was told nut aren't good for dogs.

I might try it my irish wolfhound has an intestine problem and can only eat wet food, gets a little bit expensive. And my partners staffy thinks she needs wet food to.lol.

thanks

Hey, Lewy, I'm with you, except that I'm pretty sure brown rice is okay for them. White rice has too much starch and clogs them up, but brown's okay. Molasses is great for coat and skin conditions, too.

Hey, Jase, it would be great wet food for your wolfhound - my wolfie is only 6mths but she loves this food and needs heaps because she's growing so much! Guys, this is just what I give my dogs, if don't want to give them a particular ingredient, then don't put it in :) But, Jase, my dogs did really well with some extra healthy oil in their diet, which comes from the peanut butter. I hear you can substitute for avocado as well, or a few globs of light oil mixed in.

Hey, Lewy, I'm with you, except that I'm pretty sure brown rice is okay for them. White rice has too much starch and clogs them up, but brown's okay. Molasses is great for coat and skin conditions, too.

Yer your probably right about the brown rice.. We get a few things like Kelp Liquid and put a few squirts in every few days and also have 1L of Omega 3&6 plus 9 oil for dogs and add a few drops of that too

Lewy

Last edited:
I'm def going to try this.. although I know my staffy too well and she has this amazing talent to eat EVERYTHING in her bowl except veggies.. she manages to eat around every pea, corn and carrot!

Cool thanks for that.
Just wondering how long a batch of that would last? I have a staffy and am interested in trying this.
How long do you let it defrost before feeding?
Looks like I need spare freezer to store all the dog food. :)

I'm going to Vietnam for a year in a couple of months, but my boyfriend is staying here to look after the dogs, herps, and his kid :) So I bought a chest freezer just for animal food! Which is why I make up such big batches of it, and separate into large take-away containers for their daily amount. The recipe I gave you would last my big dogs probably 2-3 weeks when I'm mixing it in with dry food. I just take a couple of bricks out in the morn and leave them in the sink, and they're defrosted (or at least mostly) when I get home from work. In summer, I sometimes give it to them frozen for a treat to cool them down (I'm in qld).

I should mention that I think this is a pretty high-calourie diet, so if your dog's a bit of a couch potato, watch their intake :)

I'm def going to try this.. although I know my staffy too well and she has this amazing talent to eat EVERYTHING in her bowl except veggies.. she manages to eat around every pea, corn and carrot!

That's why we bought a food processor and just blend it all up them freeze it in Chinese click clacks

Cool thanks for that.
Just wondering how long a batch of that would last? I have a staffy and am interested in trying this.
How long do you let it defrost before feeding?
Looks like I need spare freezer to store all the dog food. :)

Well we make enough to last about 4 weeks and just get it all out in the morning and its ready to be eaten by 4;)

My dogs are eating very expensive dry food, so I'm trying to lessen the cost by making them food for half their meals. I make a mix of rice, pasta and oats, and a mix of pet mince(chicken or roo) with vegies(broccoli, zucchini, peas, corn, carrot). The pasta mix is about 3kg pasta with 3 cups of rice and some oats(don't remember how much I put in). The mince mix is 5kg mince with 1 head broccoli, a few cups each of frozen peas/corn, about 4/5 carrots and a couple of zucchinis.

They get a bit of each of those mixes in their bowl with a raw egg on top as well as half a can of sardines each(about 3 sardines each). Keeps their coats very glossy. Sometimes I might also give them diced raw ox heart/kidney on top. I think is works out to about $2-3 a meal give or take, which is about half what the dry food is costing me.

Thanks, Blackthorn. It's good to hear your different ratios with the mince/carbs. And the sardines are a great idea! I'm gonna see if my dogs will eat them (they probably will, occasionally I use fish instead of mince) - and the oils, once again, are probably healthier than peanut butter :) Thanks again

nice bull arabs schizmz, my girl is an absolute guts too.

i boil up some rice, hearts and veges to put with my dogs dry food. They dont get it all the time but go nuts when they smell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back