Hooray for Victoria!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herptrader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I got my renewal notice today and wow are there some changes in the pipeline for Victorian Herpers!!!

As an aside the department has discovered the modern age and now accepts electronic forms of payment including credit cards, bPay etc. ... a small thing I know it was the only bill I had to pay by getting a money order and mailing it off - no MORE!!!

But that is small potatoes.

As of October 1 we can keep:

(wait for it!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:)
File Snakes
Pygmy Pythons
Rough Scaled Pythons
Boyd's Forest Dragons
Central Knob-tailed geckos
Golden Tailed Geckos
Rough-throated Leaf-tail Geckos

I know this does not seem like much but it is the biggest change to the schedules since I have had a licence in Victoria... and I have had one for decades.

In addition to herps there is also..

Black Striped Wallaby
Feathertail Glider
Long-nosed Potoroo
Plains Rat
Quokka
Southern Brown Bandicoot
Spinifex Hopping Mouse
Squirrel Glider
Angle-headed dragons

There is also a bunch of new birds that can be kept

**and** turtles no long have to be 100mm long in the shell before they can be traded!!

Whoo HOOO!! - Herp trader, here I come!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Have there been any reclassifications from Advanced to basic licences like Womas???

I think so... well yes at least for some of the birds.

If I understand what they are saying correctly you no longer need a licence if all you keep is Angle-headed dragons (Hypsilurus spinipes) ... but this does not seem all that logical to me so may be I am reading it wrong. There are other species I would have expected them to take off licence before these but they are not always that logical.

They say the details are on the DSE web site but it is not easy to navigate. I found this a good starting point: Private Wildlife Licences

Last edited:
I think so... well yes at least for some of the birds.

If I understand what they are saying correctly you no longer need a licence if all you keep is Angle-headed dragons (Hypsilurus spinipes) ... but this does not seem all that logical to me so may be I am reading it wrong. There are other species I would have expected them to take off licence before these but they are not always that logical.

They say the details are on the DSE web site but it is not easy to navigate. I found this a good starting point: Private Wildlife Licences

Angle heads have moved from advanced to basic licnense, so you still require a license just not the advanced one. No reptiles that previously required a license may be kept without one.

Angle heads have moved from advanced to basic licnense, so you still require a license just not the advanced one. No reptiles that previously required a license may be kept without one.

The way it read on the renewal did not make a lot of sense. It is clearer on the web site... now that I have found it.

Now all we need is to be able to submit our returns on line and the Vic department can really claim they have caught up with the times.

Thread

And as I said in Chris's thread this could not have been made available without the tireless work of the VHS and other reptiles communities working hand in hand with the DSE.

It is long overdue. Sure there are some animals that could have been added but overall this is a huge step in common sense.

I also got mine in the mail today finally will be able to keep boyds forest dragons yay:lol:. In 7 years it's the first major change I have seen. Always heard talk but finally Vic seems to be going in the right direction.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back