Hopper Construction

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekans

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I offered to upload some pictures and a really rough tutorial on how I make my food hoppers for my rats. I haven't done any sort of tutorial before so it may be a little basic, if anyone has any questions feel free to pm me :)

These are the items you will need
A cutlery holder
Corflute or any other stiff material that you can cut
Twist ties, cable ties or wire
A sharp blade/cutting tool

Close up of the type of cutlery holder I use. You can get these really cheap at The Reject Shop. This one had some hooks on it, I just sawed those off of this one but didn't bother with my other ones as the rats don't really care.

The piece of corflute I cut to the size of the cutlery top, keeps the rats out and the food in. I made two cuts in the coflute along one of the long edges, I did it along the channels as it's much quicker and easier to cut the corflute but you could to it against the channels for stability although I haven't had an issue with the corflute splitting and this is one of the first ones I made. Dodgy-ly cut by yours truly.

The twist ties I threaded through the holes I made in the corflute.

What it look likes underneath. Make sure you don't tie it too tightly so there is enough room for the lid to be lifted when you need to fill it. I don't bother securing the lid shut as I find my rats don't bother trying to lift it.

An idea of where you can position the ties to secure it to your tub/cage, it doesn't really matter though as long as the hopper is secured to the tub/cage firmly so it cannot be moved. My rats love sitting on the top of it and with 500g+ males sitting on it I have to tie it on really well.

Front view of a full hopper

Secured to a cage

Secured to a tub

Make sure when you buy the cutlery holder that the holes aren't too big or too small for your cubes. That's it really, takes me about 10mins to make one of these. I get my corflute for free as I know some real estate agents, doesn't hurt to go into one and ask if they have any old boards they don't use anymore. I have heard you can get scrap pieces from Bunnings sometimes and that they also stock boards of corflute.

thats awesome thanks for sharing, might try that soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back