How did you aquire your herps?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomBeardies28

Reaction score
I was just browsing another site and came across this...
Im not a fan of the wild caught stats or the pet shops one but, we all have our reasons...

id="ctl00_BodyContent_pastpolls1_gvPollResults" style="border-width: 0px; width: 297px; border-collapse: collapse"
|-
|

|-
| id="ctl00_BodyContent_pastpolls1_gvPollResults_ctl02_tdPollAnswer" align="left" style="width: 200px" | Pet store
| id="ctl00_BodyContent_pastpolls1_gvPollResults_ctl02_tdPollResult" align="left" style="width: 97px" |
bar1.gif
(36.57%)
|-

|-
|

|-
| id="ctl00_BodyContent_pastpolls1_gvPollResults_ctl03_tdPollAnswer" align="left" style="width: 200px" | Pet Superstore
| id="ctl00_BodyContent_pastpolls1_gvPollResults_ctl03_tdPollResult" align="left" style="width: 97px" |
bar2.gif
(5.17%)
|-

|-
|

|-
| id="ctl00_BodyContent_pastpolls1_gvPollResults_ctl04_tdPollAnswer" align="left" style="width: 200px" | Friend/relative
| id="ctl00_BodyContent_pastpolls1_gvPollResults_ctl04_tdPollResult" align="left" style="width: 97px" |
bar3.gif
(11.36%)
|-

|-
|

|-
| id="ctl00_BodyContent_pastpolls1_gvPollResults_ctl05_tdPollAnswer" align="left" style="width: 200px" | flea market
| id="ctl00_BodyContent_pastpolls1_gvPollResults_ctl05_tdPollResult" align="left" style="width: 97px" |
bar1.gif
(1.03%)
|-

|-
|

|-
| id="ctl00_BodyContent_pastpolls1_gvPollResults_ctl06_tdPollAnswer" align="left" style="width: 200px" | Internet/online
| id="ctl00_BodyContent_pastpolls1_gvPollResults_ctl06_tdPollResult" align="left" style="width: 97px" |
bar2.gif
(10.12%)
|-

|-
|

|-
| id="ctl00_BodyContent_pastpolls1_gvPollResults_ctl07_tdPollAnswer" align="left" style="width: 200px" | Reptile show
| id="ctl00_BodyContent_pastpolls1_gvPollResults_ctl07_tdPollResult" align="left" style="width: 97px" |
bar3.gif
(25.83%)
|-

|-
|

|-
| id="ctl00_BodyContent_pastpolls1_gvPollResults_ctl08_tdPollAnswer" align="left" style="width: 200px" | wild caught
| id="ctl00_BodyContent_pastpolls1_gvPollResults_ctl08_tdPollResult" align="left" style="width: 97px" |
bar1.gif
(9.92%)
|-

|-

Anyway, how did you get yours? Did devrything go smoothly or did you have mishaps? Id love to know!
Thanks and happy herping!

With wild caught it would've been important to stipulate if it was legally so or not.

Mine are all from breeders who were all lovely.

Mine are from freind that couldnt have it anymore. I dnt see the big deal with people lookin down on all pet stores there are some great snakes at places like amazing amazon or vic reptiles. All handled well and healthy

we can't have reptiles for sale in pet shops here in nsw.i got my Beardie from a breeder who runs a reptile supply shop.and my python was kind of randomly acquired from a keeper who had to sell it cause he was moving interstate.

Sanosuke, hmmmm were they gummi snakes?Lol.
Not implying pet stores are all bad its just a vast majority mistreat their reptiles, hence this not being legal in NSW. :)

Santey clous brings me mine apparently live reptiles make great gifts

All of mine from breeders. Pet shops aren't allowed to sell reps in NSW so its breeders all the way for me.

i currently have 7 snakes.
2 are pet store and came with info (feed/shed) from their time at the store.
One came from a large and well respected Commercial breeder, it came with no history.
3 came from private breeders and came with complete history and
the last came from a keeper, was from a store originally and came with no history.

The two that came from the pet store were my first two ever snakes (people have to start somewhere) Are my absolute pride and joy. Many NQHS People have met my Ophi when I was up there. He went to all the Herp displays and has never ever struck or bitten anyone, and this is with little kids touching his face and all! I 100% trust this snake. The three snakes I have that have come from pet stores have never missed a feed, have never been ill and I have never had any problems with.

The one I purchased off the commercial breeder I had to contact to find out any information cause it came with none. I was told it was fed on thawed and fresh killed pinky rats/ fuzzy mice. It does not eat rats, try as I might it just flat out refused every time. It was a difficult feeder, never struck its prey and was easily stressed. i had it for over a year when it just stopped eating for 9 months. It took sooo much trial and error to find what the cause of it's stress was. Over the last three years I've managed to get it to strike it's prey and eat it all with me in the room feeding the other snakes.

One of the snakes from a private breeder was a problem feeder. I got it as a yearling with complete history but it doesn't really say that the feeding consisted of dropping the food in the enclosure, locking up the room and comming back the next morning to see if it's gone! Over the years he has become a ravenous feeder, striking constricting and eating the prey then waiting for more!

All varied results. It doesn't matter where you aquire them from (unless it's wild and if you don't have permission I hope your caught!) You'll always get different experiences and different results. Just do your research, check the animal out. Have a hold of the animal, I have found some react very differently to some people. But the one thing I have learnt is it's so much easier when they come with their history on paper! If i'm having problems I can flick back thru my paperwork and see that we had the same issue last year etc. Makes life easier

Last edited:
Reptile shop - have found the breeder so im good with that.
Next snake will be from Melb Expo,already got plans with that.

Wild caught in NSW (and other states) can also be from rehabs that cannot be released or relocations that are not native to the area or animals recieved through ballot.

I loved a woman that wasn't clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back