How do I euthanize an Axolotl...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs_Moko

Reaction score
I picked up an axolotl from a friend about 4 weeks ago. He was already in pretty bad shape, not eaten for a month, and in poor water conditions.

After keeping him in the fridge for the last 3-4 weeks he seems a little happier, with colour coming back into his gills and trying to eat, but not really succeeding. He's still very skinny and I'm wondering just how happy the little guy is.

Is my keeping him alive just prolonging his misery? I keep thinking that euthanasia is the best option, but have no idea how to go about it, let alone bring myself to do it. :cry:

Any advice/help would be appreciated

Cheers

I picked up an axolotl from a friend about 4 weeks ago. He was already in pretty bad shape, not eaten for a month, and in poor water conditions.

After keeping him in the fridge for the last 3-4 weeks he seems a little happier, with colour coming back into his gills and trying to eat, but not really succeeding. He's still very skinny and I'm wondering just how happy the little guy is.

Is my keeping him alive just prolonging his misery? I keep thinking that euthanasia is the best option, but have no idea how to go about it, let alone bring myself to do it. :cry:

Any advice/help would be appreciated

Cheers

Is this a typo?

I've read that earthworms are good for axolotls that weren't eating. What foods have you tried it on?

No its not a typo... they need to be kept between about 10-14 degrees. The fridge is the best place due to our climate.

I'd read 15-18 degrees when I was trying to save one in a similar situation. Mine had been kept poorly for more than 6 months though, nothing I did helped so he ended up in the freezer.

14-18C is fine for them,under10C and they won't eat.Correct temp for a fridge is 3C.

To euth fish you generally put them in water, then put them in the freezer. They calmy fall into a sleep, and their brain dies in their sleep, its the kindest way.

you need your fry pan on hot, real hot, with oil

I hope everything works out for you, sorry I can't be more helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back