How do you defrost your food?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just hold it if i feels like it has a bit of heat in it it sould be ok, try get it warm, its not an exact temp u need to get it at

just put really hot water in a bucket, put mouse in, five minutes later it is ready. jus give a minute or two to cool a bit.

Mug of warm water straight from the tap, although difficult feeders generally prefer a dry (more natural) mouse or rat as it keeps the natural smell on the prey

Dry defrosting

We usually set the mouse on top of the enclosure above the heat lamp for a while. The microwaved wheat packs are good for a quick thaw or final warming. Our spotted and stimson seem prefer their rodents dry, so if we have to use hot water, we double bag them.

This would have to be the best description of microwaving a pinky i have ever seen :lol: :lol:

quote ex1dic

haha i remember thawing my first pinky for my first snake, in the microwave on a bit of paper towel
START 20..19..BANG! POP! haha STOP IT! TURN IT OFF! haha. poor little thing popped off the paper like a peice of pop corn.

just put really hot water in a bucket, put mouse in, five minutes later it is ready. jus give a minute or two to cool a bit.

DON'T use really hot water.

Your snake probably won't take a cooked mouse.

If you've never smelt a cooked mouse you haven't lived. It'll make your eyes water and you won't think of food for a few days:lol:

i start off by puting the meal in a bowl/glass of warm water . i leave for about an hour and then empty the glass out and put warm water in there again and leave it for 1-2 mins. i do this so the meal gets a little bit of heat back on it but not enough to re-heat it and the snake eats without fuss.

A question for those who actually defrost the rodent in water..........doesnt that take the scent of the mouse or rat away? I had a macci who hated the smell of mice, refused to eat them and the vet told me to wash the pinkie in water to remove all the scent.
When defrosting now i usually place them on plastic stretched over the top of a bowl of warm water.
Rosemary

A question for those who actually defrost the rodent in water..........doesnt that take the scent of the mouse or rat away? I had a macci who hated the smell of mice, refused to eat them and the vet told me to wash the pinkie in water to remove all the scent.
When defrosting now i usually place them on plastic stretched over the top of a bowl of warm water.
Rosemary
Hey Rosemary
I personally don't think it does remove the scent , i do defrost in warm water and then straight to the cage , and mine does seems to know its feeding time because as soon as that door is opened she hits the mouse very quickly ....with in a second of me putting it in front of her ......
Although i do get bitten most times when i'm in the cage , it is a totally different response to when i have the food .so i think she must be able to smell the mouse , other wise i would get the same response with or with out food .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back