How Long does a tail take to grow back?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uaru

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently joined the site and am looking for info on Cunningham's Skink tails.
My Bluetongue has had a snack of my newly introduced Cunningham's tail, the Cunningham's is only a juvenile and has lost a sizable portion of his tail probably about 1cm from the base, the bluetongue is also a juvenile and being advised Cunningham's and Bluey's go OK together I didn't expect to have this problem.

Anyway the Cunningham is spritely again and the stump seems to be healing well. So it seems he will be OK in the long run except for his tail.

Do their tails grow back well? How long does it take? and will it colour up and be spiny as the original would have been?

Any advice or info regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking You

I cannot speak for Cunninghams be we have a blue tongue that lost most of its tail due to some (nasty feral should be killed) cat. A year or so down the track it has grown heaps and the most obvious sign that its tail had been damaged is alittle knob at the end.

We call our little guy Survivor... because that he certainly is!

Thanks Herptrader,

Hopefully my Cunningham grows his back like your bluetongue.

I might try and get a photo of his tail and post it. I have not got any before shots though.

That would be great Herptrader.
Thanks

I had a Hosmers Skink (egernia hosmeri) when I was little and she'd lost the last 3cms of tail or so, and it grew back, but not as good as the first one. Generally most regenerated tails aren't nearly as pretty as the original ones and its obvious.
But who knows, especially if your cunningham is young. Regardless, it will still do the job and your cunningham wont be any less happy.

Thank you all, for your help.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back