How to culture Fruit flies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Thought i would post this up, i have also added it to the wiki, just a quick info sheet on culturing fruit flies

Culturing fruit flies

Fruit flies make a great food source for many animals including fish, small frogs, small lizards, young praying mantis, scorpions and small spiders. They are also very easy to culture so i will give a quick rundown on producing fruit flies for feeders. Probably the most difficult part in Australia is getting the fruit flies to start your culture, occasionally you may find vestigial winged or wingless fruit flies available from universities and if you do locate them they are by far the best to breed but most of the time you will have to catch your own so here is a simple outline of a fruit fly trap, all you will need is a small icecream container, a jar, a knife or pair of scissors, a soldering iron(optional) and some rotten fruit. First you will need to cut a hole in the lid of the icecream container, make sure it is smaller then the jar opening, this is to allow easy collection of the flies. Then with either a soldering iron or knife make a few holes in the base to allow water and rotting fruit juices to drain out to increase the life of the trap. Now all you have to do it put some rotting fruit in the trap and place it in a shady area, under fruit tree's always works well. After a day or 2 place the jar over the opening and tap the icecream container, the flies will fly out the hole into the jar then all you have to do is place the lid on and there you have the start of your colony, about 20-30 flies is ideal so repeat as necessary to get those numbers.

Basic fruit fliy culture recipe (makes 3-4 cultures)

Jars (with or without lids)
Pantyhose (optional)
Rubber bands
Empty toilet roll
1 cup potato flakes
1 tablespoon white sugar
20-30grains bakers yeast (per jar)
1 tablespoon white vinegar (optional mold inhibitor)
Boiling water.

Sterilize jars in a pressure cooker or in a pot of boiling water. If using lids poke 5-6 small holes in the lid or use panty hose secured by rubber band. Mix potato flakes and white sugar together and add white vinegar. Add boiling water and mix till its the consistency of soft mashed potato. Add approx 3cm of mix to jars and allow to cool. Once cool sprinkle 20-30 grains of yeast over the top and poke a toilet roll into the mix for flies to pupate on. Cool flies in the fridge for 10-20mins to prevent escapes before adding to the culture. Replace lid (of pantyhose) and keep in a warm (25c-30c).

After about 1 week cultures will be ready for use and they last approx 3-4weeks. Its best to start new cultures every week from flies for the freshest colony. Fruit flies make a great feed for small lizards, frogs and inverts and are a great food for hatchling gecko's and dragons.

John

Thank you for that hornet, Im sure it will be benificial for many people on here.

Scorps

Just out of curiosity (not trying to be a smart ar*e), what are the legalities of breeding fruit flies in thye various states? I know the Ag Depts in all jurisdictions are frantic in their efforts to reduce fruitfly numbers and control the movement of fruits which may harbour them (if you drove from one end of the the country to the other, you'd probably encounter half a dozen stop-for-inspection points on main highways). Fruit growers and even domestic gardeners are supposed to pick up and dispose of any windfalls or ripened fruit on the ground...

Anyone know what the story is?

Jamie

Jamie, I think this is for culturing Drosophila, the tiny flies also called vinegar flies. The type you get around your fruit bowl when the bananas and peaches get a bit past it. These are usually cultured for feeding metamorph frogs. When i volunteered at Taronga Zoo we used to culture them to feed to poison arrow frogs. A piece of old banana in the tank would keep them landing on the ground so the frogs could eat when ever they wanted. Regular crop-damaging-farmers-nightmare fruit fly are a much larger group of species and thus you could use small crickets instead.

-H

Yes this is for Drosophila not the larger green pest species commonly referred to as fruit flies (anyone know their scientific name?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back