How to disefect bark and leaf litter

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CjLeveille

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
Just wondering about how people make the bark and leaf litter safe to put in reptile enclosures? I'm in Australia and was just thinking of getting dead bits of gum tree bark and leaves to scatter in carpet python enclosures. Hondo others sanitise bark they find?

I use boiling water and shake it then repeat 3times, takes about 10minutes
thanks. Also when building a enclosure is it ok to use enamel paint or cheap spray paint on the exterior? only water based acrylics interior ofcourse but is it ok to use other paints on the exterior? no reptiles will be housed in it for 2 months after its painted.

Freezer is good for lots of little, but big items or just one or two the boiling water works best for me personally, quick and easy

Each to their own, but if you have a solid piece of wood you'll need to boil it in a large pot for some time to boil it right through, which will soften the wood and make it worse for the enclosure. The OP spoke of bark and leaf litter and if you use boiling water on that you'll end up with messy goop, and have to dry it out, which with leaf litter is going to be a complete pain. Pouring boiling water on something doesn't generally sterilise it, particularly something like a piece of wood. You need to maintain the boil for some time. Maintaining the freezing temperature for an extended time takes no effort; it's literally easier and better if you forget about it for a few days.

Each to their own, generally you'll get away with either not bothering to sterilise at all or using an ineffective method.

Back