How to sex Bynoe Gecko's ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: How to sex Bynoe Gecko

I think most of the parthenogenic ones are females :)

You can sex them using the tyical gecko methods, just look for the boys' bulges.

I think all of the parthenogenetic ones are females, Peter :p I can't say I check mine too thoroughly though :p

How many lake eyre ones are around anyway? wouldn't most in captivity be partho's mate?

No, very few of the ones in captivity are parthenogens, almost all are sexual, probably because the places which they are most commonly harvested from (yes, illegally) are in areas of their distribution where no parthenogens occur. Parthenogens virtually never occur on their own and their range is entirely sympatric with sexuals, so it's very difficult for most people to know what they're collecting. It takes years to confirm with certainty that a wild caught Bynoe's is parthenogenetic, unless you can analyse its karyotype.

Oh, what's the interest in lake Eyre ones? There aren't many around, I'm not sure if I know of any in private hands, I've probably only seen them in the lab.

Sorry mate, I thought that's where most of the sexual ones came from.

so now I would say that the best way to sex Bynoe's is to buy them from Sdaji and then they are females!!! :)

No no, the sexual species are quite widespread, we even get one of them in Victoria.

I can certainly guarantee the sex of all my parthenogens :p

Thanks for the replies all - I will see if I can compare a few & will post if I still can't work it out.

Thanks again

Jason

Take pics Jason- If you can't work it out- I'm sure someone will be able to!!

Sdaji- how many partho Bynoes can you house together? Do they all just get along? They're curious creatures, and so am I!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back