HP ProBook vs Lenovo Edge or L series?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renenet

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So here I am, at 4 am, trying to pick a laptop computer. It's been a long time since I've done this and I'm completely out of the loop on the latest gadgetry, so I'm hoping for a little help from the tech savvy among you. Basically it needs to be/have:
  • Under $1000
  • Sturdy and likely to last a long time
  • Able to cope with FNQ's high humidity
  • At least an i5 processor
  • At least 4GB RAM
  • 64-bit Windows
  • Good battery life
I intend to use it as an everyday computer as well as for uni.

Because the build quality is important to me, I have narrowed it down to these offerings from HP and Lenovo:

HP models:
ProBook 4330s
ProBook 4530s

Lenovo:
ThinkPad Edge E420
Edge E520
ThinkPad L420 or L520

So, in your opinion: Which brand is better? Which model? If you've needed assistance, what's been your experience with customer service? Any other comments? Your feedback would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Renenet

• Under $1000
  • Sturdy and likely to last a long time
  • Able to cope with FNQ's high humidity
Good luck with trying to get a laptop under $1000 that will do the above!

HP isn't bad, but take the IBM (lenovo) for longevity. It will hold it's value better too.

If you don't want it to crash in the heat I would be getting an AMD not an Intel. In my experience Intel does not handle heat well and you will get a much better laptop at a cheaper price with AMD.

Intel > AMD. Seriously.

Thanks for the responses.

Good luck with trying to get a laptop under $1000 that will do the above!

If only I had a few more dollars... alas, I'm very shortly going to be an unemployed part-time student.

HP isn't bad, but take the IBM (lenovo) for longevity. It will hold it's value better too.

Everything seems to be pointing towards Lenovo. This is a little bit scary for me because I had a really bad experience with a ThinkPad some 10 years ago, back when they were IBM.

I don't know much about AMD. I seem to remember that Intel had heat problems many years ago, but is that really still the case?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.