I need help to start breeding crickets to feed ewd's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

REPTILIAN-KMAN

Reaction score
I just got some eastern water dragons and found out that crickets at my pet shop cost heaps $8.50 for only one container which has around 20 large crickets in it. So i want to start breeding my own, if you breed crickets or other insects that my EWD will eat then i would like your help, whats need to start a breeding colony of them and how do i start it.

any help would be great thanks !

they go sick when they see the crickets Dan, they love them ! so i will try to get them on a balanced diet of veggies , crickets ( main diet ) woodys but at $8.50 for 20 its gunna ne expensive

hey sand swimmer,
i ve only just ot EWD's i ve got heaps of snakes ( pythons ) and breed them to so it will get expensive with all the others i have to feed

reptilian, i can tell you a good company that sell crickets and woodies that post everywhere in australia but first i will say that Breeding crickets is quite difficult. There is a lot of moving this here and that over there, you need to separate babies from adults, incubate the egg substrate, keep it moist all the time and so forth, i tried it the start of the year and it was just too difficult so someone said to me try woodies.. And i've just started breeding them but they are soo much easier! They live for up to a year, they can eat anything pretty much, i just feed mine kitchen scraps and you don't need to separate them just leave them there and let them do their thing and you will have heaps! You will be able to come to the tub everyday and grab 30 woodies or however many your ews eat and it will be an endless supply. All you need is a heat source (a heat cord) for the winter and summer they will breed like theres no tomorrow lol. Good luck oh and if you want heres the company email Livefoods Unlimited <[email protected]> hope this helped :)

thanks reptilerookie321,
in rearching EWD it said that woodies have alot of fat on them and that feeding woodies to them should be restricted, so i will try crickets first. thanks for the company details .

kman

Raising Crickets

check this out and go for it.
this how i do mine and it works, not on a large scale but enough for me to feed a handfull of geckos and some dragons.
occasionlly i need to leave them to restock but then its not so bad on the wallet

yeah 30 large crickets.. half of which are dead (container says 30 at time of packaging) is $9 here. Crazy... I looked into breeding crickets too, but seemed like too much hastle for so few animals..

Breeding crickets isnt really that hard, the biggest issue I see you having is making sure you use heating. Have a search in here there is heaps of people that have done it and they go through the processes they have used to achive the best results. The inital outlay will cost a little bit of money (depending on how far you take it) but once its set and you have a them breeding it costs you maybe $10 a month in food. Like I said do a search in APS I am sure u will find some helpful info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back