IBD I think my jungle might have it

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to find out what the problem is, you'll need to get the pathology work done after it's euthanased. Freezing will destroy any possibility of a diagnosis due to the destruction of the cells as the water inside them freezes. Smashing it in the head may be quick, but will prevent the taking of brain tissue which may be needed for diagnosis, in any event the snake should be euthanased and the tissue taken at the time of death, so it makes sense to get the vet to euthanase if for you. Killing it days before the tissue is taken may reduce the chance of a useful diagnosis.

The symptoms of these snake viruses are largely similar - loss of motor control, stargazing etc. They are invariably fatal when symptoms present themselves I believe, and they may be highly contagious, so if you have any other snakes in your collection, you'll need to go into lockdown. Nothing coming in or going out.

Jamie

From the ops latest description I don't think he will need to euthanise the poor thing as it sounds like it was in its death throes last night.

Just letting you all know I couldn't wait till Monday I had to euthanasia her yesterday I couldn't let it go on any longer I'm sure she was very uncomfortable, and it just felt wrong to let it go on any longer some of you may disagree but I think it was the best thing I could do

Sorry for your loss mate , I am sure it was a hard decision but the right one for the sake of the animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back