ID of snake skin

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tikanderoga

Reaction score
Heya all

We found this skin in the backyard. My neighbour told me about brown snakes about a year ago, so I my guess is: brown snake, but I might be wrong, as this is the first snake related remains.

DSCF0567.jpg DSCF0568.jpg DSCF0570.jpg DSCF0571.jpg

Considering the amount of available camouflage (tall weeds), we're a bit worried. Any help with ID is highly appreciated.

how big was the shed?

it is an elapid as the ventral scales are quite wide. I wouldnt worry too much about the snake chances are it was just passing through but if you know that you get snakes in the area make sure that you wear covered shoes and long pants when you're going through the tall weeds and stamp your feet - the snakes dont really want a conflict with humans so if they're aware of your presence theyll go the other way - unless of course you're going herping :D

Last edited:
Gday. Is the head missing? Can you count the midbody scales?

how big was the shed?
About 45 cm long, but it's not a full shed, as only a part was present. Couldn't find the head bit, so I assume the snake must be longer than that.

I've never seen a snake in our backyard within the past 18 months, since we moved here, so I assume as well that it was just passing through - wasn't even interested in the quails in their enclosure, half a meter away from where I found the shed.

By location and wide belly scales i would say probebly a brown, chance or two of a Red Bellied Blck...

thats true my mistake, it could also be a colubrid.

It's difficult to say what species you are likely to have based on the available information. I think you'll probably need to start doing scale counts to narrow down possibilities - you may not find out exactly what species it is, and probably wont without a full shed.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back