ID Please, What is this?? Legless Lizard??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilmissrazz

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just found this in my pools filter, and have seen them under my wheelie bin, wondering what they are?? Oh Im in Northern NSW if that helps lol Thanks guys

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 201
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 219
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 204
Thats a blind snake, as for species i cant say

They are harmless but still you may wanna refrain from handling, quite the little (big) stinkers :p

Australia's skunks they are, that smell is near impossible to get off you once they musk you, it's just plain awful :lol:

They are harmless but still you may wanna refrain from handling, quite the little (big) stinkers :p

I think the word repugnant springs to mind....

We used to get 100s of blindies at my place - they'd live in the carport (not concreted). You'd see them from time to time when you moved pot plants etc.

Well done for saving him.... Just re-release him into your garden and let him deal with your ant problems...

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe they're the only insectivorous snake in Australia - They eat everything from termites to house ants - so very handy to have around.

Another fallacy is they're not completely blind (as their name suggests) but they do have very small eyes that are covered by a similar coloured scale to their body - I assume some ants don't like to be eaten and may choose to attack....

LOL this is true, KILLER ANTZ!! Ive seen a few around but have just covered them back up, but since this one was in the pool he went in a bucket to get a quick snap ;)

Ramphotyphlops nigrescens Blackish blind snake
Ramphotyphlops proximus
are both found in the Ballina Area
i know a bloke that has two on licence feeding on bull ant eggs

Dont want to know how he collects bull ant eggs. ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back