I'm building a rack. Bit exciting.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TaraLeigh

Reaction score
Not doing it all by myself as I'm not that handy and I have someone that can do it for me but I thought I'd share the progress with all my fellow herps on this site.

3.jpg It's originally a stand for one of my enclosures that my grandfather is building for me. The enclosure is a 3 bank black melamine and is about 2.7m long. I bought it off eBay and I love it but I'm sick of it sitting on the floor and I'm sure the 3 Stimmo's living in it will be alot happier a bit higher up too. So this 1st pic shows half of the stand, it's going to come in 2 parts. To make it easier to move being the main reason for the split rather than 1 whole single stand.

4.jpg Shelf :eek:

2.jpg So I'm thinking of routering out a couple of lines on each shelf to put a heat cord through, still gotta buy the heat cord + thermostat and figure out how I'm going to get the lines in there plus drill a few holes for the cord to run through up/down the sides etc.

1.jpg When it is finished it will be black, going to stain it I think. Can't wait :D

5.jpg I haven't even seen it yet, just talked about it, my boy went down to their joint tonight and took these pics for me. I will post pics of the enclosure that the stand is getting made for and some shots of my click clacks [that I'm proud of even though they are fairly simple] that I DIY'ded to go in the shelving, in the near future.

Cheers, Tara Leigh.

So I finally got the stand home and the enclosure off the floor =] Love it.
But now that my wonderful grandfather [Grumps] has finished it and it's here, it's always in my sight and the options running through my head are endless. I think I'll make 1 or 2 or eventually even all the sections into enclosures.
Seeing what people on here have done has really inspired me.
To stain/paint it it was going to cost me $100 so I'm leaving it plain for now as it looks fine and have better things to spend $100 on.
The residents of the enclosures have changed since my original post and so have many of my ideas. But here's an update. Some opinions/suggestions would be lovely.
DIY Project.jpgEnclosure and or hatchy rack.jpgShelf it.jpgMy enclosure stand.jpgSo many options.jpgStand.jpg

Looks good and I bet it's made to last like the old fashioned way, onya Grumps ;)

Cheers Smithers [hehe] & br3nton!

I'm thinking of running a heat cord and thermostat on at least one of the top shelves, possibly more in the future.
Any thoughts on if this would work for a hatchy rack or if I need to do anything else?
I have tubs/click-clacks with lids.

I use tubs with a heat cord and a thermostat.

79d82cdb-13c5-f689.jpg
there's one I i knocked up on the weekend I use a 80watt heat cord and a dimming thermostat which where not in it at the Time I'll get a better picture tomoro for you.

Cheers man. Did you router out lines for the heat cord to run through?

No because I built it temporarily. But I will on a good big rack. Plus I found out that when you router it in I loose allot of heat through the back. It's ok in a heated room. But if it was in a room by itself it was hard to heat.

This said enclosure and stand are in my bedroom actually. Currently have an Olive, a Stimmo and a Coastal in the 'banks'- will obviously change in the future. But yeah. This stand. It's got grooves in it already, I haven't got the heat cord [or thermostat] yet but maybe it'll just sit in the grooves nicely. But then again they are fairly spaced apart. N' I don't want the tubs not sitting real flat. I dunno. I'll have to measure everything up again and see if it'll work. Pretty sure I will make it work anyway. I just don't want to do things wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back