Im thinking of building a rat rack. Are these any good.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersimon

Reaction score
Hi all
Whilst in bunnings looking for new a built in wardrobe for the wife I noticed these baskets and when I saw them I straight away thought great alternative to concrete tubs seeing there almost impossible to find. They are about the same size as concrete tubs and are made of metal. I was thinking about putting a bit of ply at the bottom to stop the saw dust, wees and poos from falling full through to the cage below. I was also going to put PVC pipe in each cage so they can shelter from the cold and wind as they are in a 3 sided pergola.
So what I'm asking is your opinion are these any good for a rat rake?
Cheers Simon
9e6apeqe.jpg

Im thinking of building a rat rake. Are these any good.

Sounds like a good idea. It would add ventilation for the super hot days we're having lately too. I wouldn't put wood in the bottom though. It'll soak up all that stuff and will probably end up stinking and rotting. Maybe Perspex or something would work better?

Perspex moulded to the bottom is a good idea, however if you are intending on keep rats in there, just make sure you clean it regularly as their pee tends to rust metal and then the stench stays. But top shopping :) two birds with one stone, something for the wife and something for the reps!!!

There are plenty of plastic tubs out there for rat use... Those metal cages would be a pain in the bum!

When selecting which tub to use if you pay a bit more for a locally manufactured tub it is more likely to be available when you need replacements in the future.

Why not just purchase the commercial tubs and use those, They are far better than anything else as far as ease of cleaning, feeding etc.
They are available in 2 sizes and are cheap when you think about the time and mucking around you are going to do to set something else up, All you have to do is add your bedding, put the rats in and away you go!

Why not just purchase the commercial tubs and use those, They are far better than anything else as far as ease of cleaning, feeding etc.
They are available in 2 sizes and are cheap when you think about the time and mucking around you are going to do to set something else up, All you have to do is add your bedding, put the rats in and away you go!

Mainly because using these for a 12 bay rack will cost about $350 including watering system. Commercial tubs I would be lucky to get 5 for that price.
I use plastic tubs now but was looking for something like concrete tub to make it neater and more compact.
i haven't bought them yet so I still might find something better.
cheers for everyone's imput.

l use 220 litre tubs $59.95 @ Bunnings Approx. 900mm long x 800mm wide x 600mm high....solar17

l use 220 litre tubs $59.95 @ Bunnings Approx. 900mm long x 800mm wide x 600mm high....solar17

I also have those Baden, but I believe they were a promotional item and they have not had them since the time we both would have bought them. If they ever get any more in at any of the stores, I will be there to buy them all haha. They are fantastic for little lizards as well :D The ones they do have are a bit smaller and cost 2-3 times more. They are found in the pond section. No good for racks though.

LOL thread now titled correctly, I've left the other typo so you two don't look like total lunatics.
thanks but futile!

My rat system consists of 20 litre tubs in which I run 1M/2F and concrete tubs in which I run 1M/6F. The concrete tubs are hard to find but the cheap shops were selling them as planters ( and they had them mis-priced too, I brought the lot!) The only problem I have with the concrete tubs is that the male often goes deaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back