building a rack.. with pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justdragons

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all, Over the weekend i got a good start on building my new snake rack in prep for next year. Took some photos while i was doing it so i could chuck them up in case anyone ever wanted to build one and didnt know where to start.. :)

This all started when i was given a free walk in robe. white 16mm melamine.. well dont mind if i do i said and off we went.
There was quite a few pieces and after some talking on here i decided to make a rack that was 4 tubs wide and 7 tubs high.

First of all i had to cut all the sheets in to the lengths i wanted, 7ltr sisteema tubs are about 240 mm wide or something close to that so i made the spaces 250 so i had a little room to move. 4 per shelf, = 1000mm wide shelfs.

DSC_0135 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Make sure you buy a power saw blade with at least 180 teeth because otherwise your melamine will chip out on you and you will be angry. >:)

DSC_0116 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I then measured each tub and the melamine( 16mm) and added those together and this would be my spacings for the rack. This totaled 123mm and that included 1mm for play so the tubs would slide.

After the measuring it was time to start to cut. Now in a former life i was a chippie so i have a few tools laying around but if you dont have a table saw ( i do not ) It can be frustrating cutting straight lines. I always use a level and clamps, it takes a little longer but its worth it for the sweet finish.

DSC_0106 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

LOL hows the haircut.. hahah

DSC_0114 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Now that all my shelf's are cut and my two sides are cut and spacings have been marked out its time to trench in some grooves for the heat cord ill be using.

DSC_0149 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

If you enjoy DIY and snakes i suggest you buy one of these. They are a makita laminate trimmer and a god send for routing in heat cord.
DSC_0150 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67061415@N05/8236430557/

I did 2 rows at 30mm apart. I haven't done a rack before so i may well be needing to cut one more run in but we will see as i'm still waiting on the heat cord to arrive.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67061415@N05/8237505004/

Now i took one of my side panels that was going to be the raiser for all my heat cords. i measured all my spacings before so now it was just a matter of linking shelf to shelf in line with where i had routed out for the cords and you are left with this. snappy ay :)

DSC_0171 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I now had to rip all materials down to the desired depth. I went with 365 which again was just over the length of the tub but i wanted a little space for air and to be sure the tub was all the way in.

DSC_0135 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I test fitted it all a few times and when things looked good it was assembly time. Make sure you pre drill everything so the timber doesn't split and ruin you hard work.
DSC_0175 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
DSC_0182 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Now If you have cord already i would be putting it in as i go. I dont so im gonna knock it up now so i can use if for a bench to put the snake viv up i made while i was making this.

DSC_0186 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Keep in mind it was free recycled timber and thats why it looks a little poo but im sure it will do the job. Another thing i will do once cord is in will be to put a back on it out of 3mm melamine to keep things rigid and stop tubs sliding through.

DSC_0195 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I put a small kicker on the bottom because im going to screw in a power board and have 3 different cords so i can turn them on and off as i please and run a thermo up the side.

Cheers for looking.

TOBY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back