info on self ballasted mercury vapor lamps/uv ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

instar

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Does anyone use these? are they any good as far as uv output, or is it easier to give time in the sun more regularly?

I have found that unless you have a smooth power supply ie minimal surges, that they blow very quickly.

Ok thanks womas, i suppose you can buy clever surge prevention gadgets and the like, but i think
ill stick to good old "great outdoors for uv and ceramics for heat. They seem to work well for me.
We do get "drops" in our power, ie lights dim, the video goes out and back on sometimes, particularly in really windy weather (could be dodgy mains wiring, thats a worry).

I just recently bought one of these globes - all I can say is that one of my water dragons is really quite appreciating it. She's out and about far more often and spends hours directly under the lamp. I don't know if I would go quite so far as to put them in every tank, but I am seriously thinking of putting them in all of the hatchies tanks. (lizards)
Bex :)

Out of curiosity Bex, how did you rig/wire it ? what kind of enclosure?

There was a reliability problem with some of the earlier versions of these lamps. I know that a whole shipment received by the Herp Shop was "rejected" and became land fill because they were not reliable. Since then a number of improvements have been made and the life expectancy has been greatly increased. The ones currently being sold through the Herp Shop branded as "Aussie Sun" are now proving reliable in a range of conditions.

These lamps are not suitable for use on thermostats which will cause them to go on and off frequently. They are not supposed to be turned on again until after they have cooled.

The certainly do put out a lot of UV in comparison to the UV tubes.

I believe i had the older style. At $60 each or thereabouts i lost $240 of lighting in 3 weeks.

I have been running the new Aussie Suns in some of my dragon enclosures for 6 months+ with no problems whatsoever. I recommend them to anyone requiring intense UVB for their dragons.

Instar, I am using the OzBright in open top tanks, ie fish tank with mesh lid and light fitting w/ cable. The globe doesn't run on a thermostat, but we do occasionally get drops in our power and it doesn't seem to affect it.
Becais I am in the process of building banks of melamine enclosures, I won't be able to use these globes in there, but all of my hatchies start out in big plastic tubs with an over head fluro and another light socket w/ cable. So there wouldn't be an issue with that.
Something that I have considered when designing my new enclosures is installing computer fans to keep the air moving, so as to allow the OzBrights, or what ever globe you choose to use. A computer fan will cost about an extra $12, but can be installed in a side wall so that your tanks are still stackable.
Bex :)

BTW: Love your pic thing :)

is there a difference between the herp shops "aussie suns" and the "oz brights" from the URS?

sobrien, I have used both brands and to me they seem identical. The 3rd generation of these bulbs appear to have overcome any previous problems and are now worth getting if you want to keep your animals healthy. Most parks and big breeders are now using these bulbs with great sucsess.

alrighty, thanks bigguy, I recently bought one and some fittings so it's just a matter of putting everything in the enclosure.
Sim

Thanks for replys guys/gals, I wanted to get the skinny on mercury vapor because i heatrd they were good. Im finding im having less time to sun, my critters so I considered it. Im tossing up between that and building o/d enclosures. I think ill wait till spring though, get a bit more size to them. I though about a walk in enclosure with a pond inside for the turtles, and keeping, the blueis and beardies in there too, it would be a big one, im a bit concerned with the blueies drowning though. how does anyone else do that, really gently sloping pond sides and lots of logs as ramps out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back