Injured Knobtail

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok no I cant lol, left the camera at my untie's place.
Tried to get one with my phone, even though its 2MP camera it doesnt show the detail upclose.
Looking at it now, doesnt look any different to the other unless he walks when you can see the foot is limp.

Depending on how large the open wound is, you could also try a smear of Silvazine cream into it. it's people-medicine that works fantasticly on healing minor abraisions like grazes and small cuts, and minimises infection and scarring. You can buy it from the chemist, I got a little container of it from the vet when one of my knobtails had a tiny tiny little cut on his knob that got infected. gecko + knob now perfect.

But again, it depends on the size of the wound. If it's a large wound and looks like a hole more than a cut, probably better to use a little diluted betadine, at least until the healing process begins

Yeah I read it and it sounded really wrong, but there's just no other way to say it :p

Thanks for that glider Ill try that instead as its more like a graze, not deep at all, only a small patch too.

Update: He's walking around the container as if nothing ir wrong, the only thing that looks abnormal is the floppy foot, and he cant seem to move his leg past half the way he can move the others, like 90 deg. from his body is far ford as he can move it, right to the back though.
So thinking there is a bit more injured than the foot but he seems to be alot more active than he's ever been since i noticed it.
Just got to get him to eat, hes tried a few times but missed and lay down as it was an effort with one leg tucked up.

Cheers, Dan.

Dan,
Sounds like good news. I would use the anti-septics that the others recommended and then try and give him some peace and quiet. Once the wound heals I would give him a good 15cm of red sand, moisten it and let him be for the next couple of months (ensuring you have a hot end 32 celcius.) You will be suprised at how quickly he will "fix himself" and adapt to living without a foot, or in some cases you will notice that the foot may in fact go hack to normal) It may not always end in the most visibly pleasing way(bung foot), but probably the most effective. As long as he doesn't look like he is in pain and the foot isn't in his way then eventually he will adapt.
Troy

With the food while he's healing/getting used to a bung foot, try chopping the bottom segment of the hopper legs on the crickets off. Put the cricket tub in the fridge for 10-15mins and they'll slow right down so you can pick them up with tweezers and chop the end of the hopper legs off with little scissors. Basically leave the 'drumstick' part but cut the big hind leg off at the knee and discard the spikey stick part of the leg.
This will make the crickets very easy to catch for him.

Hmm now I think I remember earlier in this thread you talk about feeding him woodies... I suppose you could cool those down in the fridge (though from memory they take a lot longer to slow down), and cut the legs off one side of each roach. A little bit fiddlier to do than the crickets (especially with little roaches!!) but to the same effect.

Thanks for that guys, he now appears to be on the road to recovery extremely quick, his leg now moves just as much as the others (used to only go half way) and he has movement in his toes which is good, and he is alot more active than he has been since the accident.
Thanks glider I'll try that with the woodies, Iv seen him try to eat twice now, with no success but a woodie is missing from his container, so pretty sure he ate it as there is lube around the top of the container to stop them from escaping. Hopefully he'll eat tonight with both legs working pretty well.
Looks like he'll be keeping all his limbs after all!

Thanks for all your help every one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back