Interest in reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar_Psycho

Reaction score
Hey I`m new to the APS scene, and only been keeping for about 10 months now. Just curious as to what first attracted everyone to reptiles. It seems that most people I talk to (herp forums excluded of course) have been caught up in the belief that all snakes are out to get us and that theyve all got poison. So just curious as to how everyone else saw passed this damaging lie and what first got them into herps.

Cheers, Jay

I don't know ..I liked reptiles and frogs from when I was a little boy, always try to catch them...
I just love to learn a lot about them and I love breeding...it is always good to see a baby lizard or snake slit open the egg.....

well I was born in South africa in 1974 I have photos of myself playing with comelions, moved to the UK to bloody cold there, moved to Australia in 1980 when I was six. one day there was this guy on stage Fritz Marten most people that have been around would lnow him he ran a park at Monbalk called the Monbolk Animal Kingdom...anyway he started me of with stumpy and I guess it snow bald from there to what I have know in 2003 about 60 odd species its very addictive...by the way welcome to APS

i bred mice for reptile food then decided to get some for my self a few years back i still breed mice for reptile food

I think I would need psychiatrist to answer this one. I really don't know. I just like snakes. Mabe devil work.

How many people are born year of the snake in Chinese Horoscope.
I am.

dad got me into it. always bringing frillies and blues home. always trying to get mum into another pet. he likes the idea of a turtle in the fish pond. mum isnt that keen on most reptiles. shes ok with lizard, but dislikes snakes

i used to be a little intimidated by snakes :shock: until i had a chat to a vet i worked with about em and he said he wanted one. i was talking to the bf about it and he had always wanted one too so we went down to the local aquarium who sell a few snakes and the dude was great and pulled out a stimmie and a 2yr old jungle and it was luv at first handle! lol i didnt really know much about em until then and the more i learnt the more i wanted one. then we got jules.... :D

I made the mistake of telling my son that I used to have a couple of snakes when I was a kid.

"Can we get one dad? Can we? huh? Pleeeeeeeeeeaaasse?" So..... I became re-addicted. :)

I think I was born like this!!! and it is really addictive, I always want more. I grew up on a farm in Maryborough and I always had a pet something or other.... even cane toads ( :shock: ) (what can I say, they were pretty cool pets). Anway, when we moved to brisvegas, my cousin took me turtling and after that I have been facinated ever since...

On my current to do list I have:
Diamond Python
Caramel Childrens Python
Green Tree Frogs
Frillies
Painted Turtles
More vitties
Shingle backs
Angle heads
Bredli
and so on and so on and so on (I hope santa brings me something)

Have had a fascination for frogs, lizards, snakes and birds of prey since age 5, it's people I just cant get into.(Although the females are pretty nice :wink: )

ad said:
How many people are born year of the snake in Chinese Horoscope
I am year of the bird(I want to be free) but I'm going to be year of the snake in my next life Ad. :)

I started liking snakes after I was bitten by one at our paddocks....:D

Playing with wild red bellys as a child, I loved anything alive. great wonder im still alive!

Like many others came from catching things when i was younger.Used to chase anything that moved and if it didn't i poked it with a stick.
Quails were heaps of fun!!!.Same with baby pigs.
Used to bring reptiles home but always got in trouble.
Really i was just a pain in the rear.Never beleived anyone till these days.
Had bird eating spider's to start with (still have one.Stirlingi)
Started on the snakes 2 years ago and can't stop.Somebody help!!!This problem only seems to get worse.LOL.
I LOVE IT!!!.

As a very little kid I used to like watching docos of crocs taking down huge prey items and guess fascination with reptiles got started from their strength and speed.
I only found out you could legally keep reptiles in August last year when I did 5 days work experience at the Australian Reptile Park . The peopl e there told me a lot of info about keeping snakes and I even got to feed quite a few pythons of different sizes that they use for demonstrations. I also had to clean the outside enclosure next to Ms. Piggy (the pig nosed turtle that survived the fire), that I`m pretty sure there still not using for anything yet. lol

Cheers, Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back