Intro and sad loss.... :( .......Maybe???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluorescence

Reaction score
G'day All!

Been lurking a few days as I've been interested in scorpions for a while. What interested me at first was a few years ago seeing youtube vids on Emperors but realised they aren't available in Oz (unless, of course, one had the right connections). Never pursued it as I was always had the impression that our natives were highly venomous. And after reading a few threads here and a few more vids, boy was I wrong (to my delight)!

Wanted a (Southern) Black Rock and a Flinders Ranges one but apparently the former are more abundant in spring (as told by the local reptile shop). So I purchased an adult and a baby of the latter before work, no worries. Got to the car park with a little time to kill so I wanted to introduce myself to the adult and seeing it's my first time ever handling them, I'd see how I'd go. Yeah, I know, lesson learnt - big time! She was aggressive but keeping in mind what info I've learnt in how to handle them in most situations, I managed to get her on my backhand but still posing the aggressive stance. Admired her for a few minutes then decided to put her back in the container she came in but she didn't seem to want to. Struggled a bit then she decided to bolt and drop beside my seat to hide herself between the console (fabric) and the runners for seat adjustment. Stuffed around for fifteen minutes to gently persuade her to come out with a sour sob stem but no go. By this time, of course, I'm about five minutes late for work so decided to check on her on my tea break.

So on my lunch break when it was already dark, I tried looking for her with the blacklight torch I'd purchased at the same time but I could not find her!!! I was ever careful making sure to be gentle but 40 mins of searching had me nearly in tears!

After searching for her after work in the car park for nearly an hour, I decided to make my way home as it wass already nearly 1AM. Searched again when I got home for another hour before decided to shower and share my first experience with scorpion/s with you guys. Been searching every half hour to see if she decides to come out from hiding. I'm going to strip the car tomorrow from the inside and hope all goes well:cry:. At least I didn't lose my baby at home whilst we were introduced but I've read have a high death rate?

Anyway, sorry for the long intro and it's nearly 3 o'clock. Moral is, never handle them in cars unless you can spend hours trying to catch them until you get them back - but don't leave until you get them!

Cheers!

Sounds like you learned a valuable lesson. Welcome to the forum and the world of scorpions!
I'm sure that many swift lizards have been lost in the same way.

Cheers, Bushman!

Good news! After a couple of days, I found her scooting around with a baby huntsman in her claw. Man, was I relieved and could've sworn I checked every nook and cranny! But this is not before I just about stripped the car twice and purchasing a couple of Urodacus yaschenkois. Funny thing is, she's really docile now...she doesn't mind getting patted and I took up the courage to let her wonder on my face. Anyway, with what's happened and showing her "affectionate" side she's easily become my favourite. Would not try it with the yaschenkois - they're a bit too feisty for my liking.

Loving these inverts. So much that I've got a pair of Southern Blacks and a colony of Lychas coming in next week. Woohoo! Though my wife's not happy that more money is spent on tanks and accessories...lol!

Last edited:
Just don't open freshly freighted elapids in your car. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back