Irish-australian snake refugee needs help!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cussypat

Reaction score
Hi all!
I am new and read a few threads to see if you are a friendly bunch before posting this lol. You seem to be so here goes!

I am Irish, in Galway. I have a JCP that was rescued from a tattoo shop in Dublin. His name is Adam, he is almost 4 years old, 6 ish feet long an beautiful. Will try to post a pic in a minute.

Not sure of his gender just call him Ada and a boy as don't want poor guy getting probed for nothing! I am not a breeder just a rescuer and Adam was my first snake.

He is doing very well since I got him almost a year ago. He is feeding regularly (was only getting a mouse a week where he was and couldn't even uncurl in his viv before, grrr.....). They didn't want to but a bigger viv for him so underfed him so he wouldn't grow.... yeah I know..... he just got longer and thinner and I could see his spine when he arrived.

Anyway. even though he is doing well here I would love to see him even happier so..... I need help and advice from his home country of Oz!

Is there any way in the world he could be relocated back to Oz safely and legally? He is native to your shores though captive bred. Would it be legally possible? Would he learn to hunt live food? Are there rehabilitation centres over there who could help? Would his immune system be compromised as he is captive bred (possible inbred, who knows?)

So many questions. I'd love to see him roam free and have girlfriends/babies (if he is a girl lol) but would obviously only do it if it were safe for him and legally possible. I can fundraise for the obvious expense involved.

You will probably think I am nuts but I just want what is best for him and it makes me sad to see him in his glass house and sadder still to feed the poor rats to him.... I am a softie I admit. These animals should never have been brought to Ireland as pets!

Far too many are dumped/escape. I also have a little corn snake who is a rescue too and will be looking into sending her back to the USA. A few weeks ago a large python or boa was found beaten to death at a train station in Dublin. People just dump them when the get big..... In Ireland they stand no chance. We have no native snakes here as its too cold. There are no licensing laws here. It's crazy! I could buy a tiger or elephant or croc online with no licence and I need one for both of my dogs!!!!!! I'm glad to see the Aussie authoroties are more sensible about this sort of thing!

Anyway thanks for any help or advice you can give!
Catherine

it would be illegal to place him into the wild since he has been captive breed and kept in captivityfor 4yrs now

pic as promised!

adamandcatsjan2008006.jpg

really? Illegal??? That buggers that idea then! Oh well. Are you sure? there are no groups who work legally with this sot of situation? If not, at least I tried. I'll just have to try to keep him happy as possible where he is. I guess captivity here is as good as captivity anywhere right?
Thanks so much for your quick reply! Isn't he a beauty though? I love him to bits!
Cat

he is a very nice looking snake is there any zoo over there that would take him?

The disease risk factor would play a major part ...the cost would be alot ...and doubt that it could happen anyway ,so facts are, you now own a beautiful carpet snake ...feed him up on baby rabbits ,rats ,small chickens,quail you can give him a variety (what ever you can get at the time)and he will be a very happy snake ...keep his temps right and give him the attention he needs ,and you will reap the benefits ...good on ya for rescuing him :)remove the flowers from his viv as they have small parts that could come off and he could digest them not good for him ...if you want to put fake plants in the viv ,go for big broad leaf ones....;)

Thanks all!

I have Nooooooooo problem keeping ths guy I love him to bits!

I just want him to be as happy as possible and thought he might be better off as a free snake.

I have his set up working well here. He always sheds perfectly. He stopped eating during the winter but is chomping away well again now. I was so worried! Have temps and humididity all sorted etc but h does need a bigger house which I am working on. Soon due to move house so waiting to get a built in huge viv for him.

Don't get me wrong I would cry my eyes out to lose him! But felt I had to try... for his sake..... to give him the best possible.

And ty for the disease info. That was a real worry for me. I'll just keep him and love him and do my very very best for him so. Andwill no doubt bug you all again as soon as I have the slightest problem with him! (OMG when he stopped eating last winter..... I almost had a nervous breakdown!)

Thanks all for puttig my mind to rest so to speak. I just want to do what is best for him really. He is a real star. The coolest dude I ever met!

Wonder if I will be able to release Eve in the US? Will keep you all posted! But if diseases etc a factor I would not want to......

Catherine

I meant we have a very strict law in Australia in regards to bringing overseas animals ,even though this fella's genetic family originates back to our country he obviously was born and bred in another country...so due to quarantine laws in our country it would be a very costly project for you ,thats to say even if possible...:)

It's not releasing a captive bred into the wild that the problem, people's pets escape all the time (which is also why we cant keep exotics here, natives only) but we cant import/export to and from Australia, no matter what species, even natives.

Sounds like youre doing a good job looking after it so keep doing what youre doing and the snake will be better off with you

You might beable to import the the corn back to usa....although i very much doubt it ...it would remain a cb snake for the pet trade if you did... & it would cost you a alot of money to do it if you did, and im 99% certian you wouldnt get permission to release it back into the wild.

cathrine you said its a boy ! whats with all the plastic flowers, i hope the corn snake female hasnt got skulls and car parts scattered in her enclosure

no chance of sending it back to australia,im sure though u will take good care,with the right ammount of heat etc that a snake needs
wats with the flowers ? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back